21.

Grey walls, white ceiling, pristine clean floors, beeping machines, the stark smell of bleach and blood

Grey walls, white ceiling, pristine clean floors, beeping machines, the stark smell of bleach and blood. I was at a hospital.

Why?

Out of impulse, I lifted my hand to touch my temple and flinched at the pain.

Everything came surging at that moment. The images of last night flooded my brain like a heavy tsunami; the nightmare, the haunted look on his face, the ache deep in my gut watching him fight the unknown, the immense pain I felt when he pushed me to my demise.

Where was he?

I could smell him, I knew he'd been here. His cologne had that lingering effect that stuck to you. But I couldn't see him.

I attempted to sit up to get a better glance around the large room but a pinprick of pain knifed through my neck, objecting to my decision. I crashed back down and groaned. My body felt so sore and so stiff that it was hard to move a muscle. The door opened right then and Tristan emerged, fully dressed in loose jeans and a black vintage t-shirt with his phone in his ear.

"And I need the documents on my-" His words ground to a halt when his eyes met mine.

"James, I'll call you back." He prompted immediately and ended the call. He pushed his phone into his pocket and ambled to the bed. Closer up, I could see his eyes, they were dark and clouded. He looked sleep-deprived and emaciated.

I opened my mouth to speak but my lips were heavy and my throat was sore. He seemed to have understood me because he spoke. "You hurt your head pretty bad and needed stitches."

Oh, woah. Was it that bad?

I shut my eyes and opened them, feeling the tears that gathered in the corner of my eyes strain down my temple. "This is your fault." I croaked, my voice a dehydrated broken mess.

"I know." He admitted surprisingly. "I didn't mean to hurt you."

"You sure?"

"I'm trying to apologize, Sienna." His voice was cool and relaxed, much more so than mine had been, it irritated me.

"You don't look like you are." I hissed.

His eyes squeezed shut and he shoved both hands through his tousled hair. And then when his eyes opened again, they were cold with a glare. "I said I'm trying to apologize, Sienna, stop being spoiled and making this harder than it needs to be."

Oh, he did not just say that to me.

"I'm being spoiled?" I repeated, outraged. "I'm the one with a busted head which I got from trying to help you!" I snapped, wanting to slap his head but feeling too weak to lift a finger.

His jaw tensed. "I never asked you to be a hero and come to my aid!" He barked right back, throwing his hands up in frustration. "What kind of moron touches someone having an intense nightmare!"