Ch 9

You gulped. What in the world did this guy want? Have you managed to do something wrong already?

You approached the man cloaked in shadows. The only light source was directly behind him, leaving his features lost to the shadows. As you got within range, you spoke. "Have I done something wrong, Sir?"

"Sir?" The man said. You could hear slight humor in his tone.

"Sorry, what would you like me to call you?" You ask, your patience wearing thin but your curiosity growing.

"Whatever you'd like, darling."

Your eye twitches. Who did this prick think he-

"Aw come on, at least laugh a little," the man steps into the light and you finally recognize him.

"Alphie? What the fuck are you doing here?" You ask.

"I could ask you the same thing," he grinned.

You turned as you heard footsteps behind you. "I'm so sorry, Sir. Is my subordinate bothering you?"

You sigh, dodging Skeever's hand that tried to land on your shoulder. "No, I wasn't bothering him. I kn-"

"Subordinate, eh?" Alphie's grin only grows. "Somehow I feel like that suits you~"

"Oh, shut up A-"

"(Y/N)! That's not the way you're supposed to talk to Mr. Zenya! Sir, my deepest apologies-" you cringed. Hearing Skeever talk so formal gave you the creeps.

"Yeah, subordinate. You shouldn't talk to me that way," he snickers.

"Okay, that's it," you walk over and start tickling him. He devolved into a laughing and withering mess. Skeever stared at you in shock.

"OKAY! OKAY! I SURR- HAHEDL MeRCI!" he wriggled out of your grasp, gasping for air with a stupid grin on his face. All the commotion had drawn the attention of everyone, including his bodyguard who now had you restrained.

"Oh, don't worry about the subordinate there. He's a friend," Alphie waves off the guard.

You push the guard off of you. "What the hell are you doing here, Alphie?"

"Overseeing a little purchase I made. What the hell are you doing here?"

"Apparently delivering the little purchase you made," you grumble.

"Hey, newbie.. just how many powerful people do you know.." Skeever asked in awe.

You ignore him completely. "Anyway, what the fuck did you order?"

"Nothing to be concerned about. Any who, why are you working under Riggs?"

"Ah, it's a long story.. We can talk about it with, uh, less ears around."

"Why don't we grab some drinks later then?" Alphie smiles. One of his favorite things was going out.

"Fine, but only if you invite Desi. Somebody has to keep you under control," you tease.

"Noooo, anything but Desmondddd. He's such a buzz kill," Alphie slumps against you, his whining only getting worse.

"Both of the Zenya's?? Who is this guy," Skeever said to himself.

After convincing, and I mean lots of convincing, Alfie to let you go, you finished unloading everything from the truck and set back off towards the workplace. The whole ride back was full of questions. How do you know Mr. Zenya? Why do you know him? Are you two close? Blah blah blah.

Folgers was waiting for you when you got back.

"How'd it go?"

"You didn't tell me it was a delivery for Alphie." You say, glaring at him.

"I wasn't aware that you knew him. Plus, the buyer's identity is kept anonymous. It would've been against code to tell you."

"Didn't take you for a stickler for rules," you smirk at him.

"I value my job, dumb ass," he turns away from you. "Follow."

"You know, you talking to me like a dog is really aggravating," you say, but you follow after him anyway.

"You're at the bottom of the barrel. Don't expect to be treated like anything other than trash."

You childishly stick your tongue out at him behind his back.

"Anyway, you need to make a report and hand it in to Boss. Then he'll probably send you in for the day to rest."

"Okay, seems simple enough. Where are you taking me, then?"

"Your presence has been requested."

"By who?"

"You'll see in due time."

"Man, why do you have to be so difficult."

"Bottom of the barrel," Folgers reminds you.

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever."

Grumpy cat led you through the building and to a front reception area you'd never seen before. There was a nice young man with a warm smile sitting at a desk. He was speaking to an older woman. Besides those two, there were three other people in the room.

Sunni waved at you and gave you a very excited thumbs up. That could either mean you're about to have a fantastic time or meet your eminent doom.

To your surprise, however, it was just Alphie. Again.

"Oh." Your disappointment was evident in both voice and visage. "It's just you."

It was odd seeing him look so serious, but you guessed he had some sort of reputation to uphold. You knew he was in some shady business, just like his brother, but you never guessed that either of them were in this deep. Especially not deep enough to be so well known.

Your suspicions were immediately put to rest when Alphie saw you. His serious and intimidating expression dropped when he turned and saw your face.

"(Y/n)!" he leaps over and pulls you into a big hug.

"You just saw me like less than an hour ago.."

"I know, but I'm excited! I came to pick you up early so we can go have drinks!!" He pulls out of the hug and grins at you, practically bouncing up and down.

You sigh and run a hand over your face. "Tonight?"

His grin faltered. "Yeah, is that not okay?"

"Alphie," you put a hand on his head and ruffle his hair. "I'm sorry you went through the trouble, but I'm extremely tired. I don't have the energy to do it tonight and my head is starting to kill me. I need rest."

He frowned. You hated seeing him disappointed, but you've had one hell of a day and the only thing you wanted to do was sleep.

"Okay.. I understand. At least let me take you home? It's late."

You nod. "Sounds good to me. Let me go finish making a report and I'll be right out. Wait for me?" You turn and leave, rushing off to follow Folgers.

Alphie sighs to himself. "Always.."

Sorry for missing last weeks update. To make up for it, here's two chapters 😊