The Boy Without a Fairy

Chapter 1
The Boy Without a Fairy

Deep within the verdant sanctuary of the Kokiri Forest, the sound of combat cracked a discordant note in the calm forest air. In a secluded clearing, two young boys clashed in a spirited mock duel. Forenz, the older of the two, wielded his blade with practised ease. The younger boy was Link. Resembling a puppy challenging a seasoned hound, the young boy attacked with fervent enthusiasm, audible grunts punctuating his every move. His limbs were a canvas of bruises, and sweat traced tracks down his dirt-stained brow.

It soon became clear that Link wouldn't be the victor. Forenz was pressing forward, forcing him back, and Link nearly tripped over his own feet. He tried to take in each suggestion, but his defence was getting sloppier, and soon, Forenz's sword grazed his arm in a clear strike.

It was another victory for Forenz, and it took all of Link's willpower not to take out his frustration on his wooden sword.

"Take a breath, and we'll try again," Forenz said, his kind voice taking away some of the sting of this latest defeat.

Link just nodded. Exhausted from a poor night's sleep and Forenz's relentless training, he felt out of his element. Waking up to discover a Skulltulla had invaded his home had been unusual, even by Kokiri standards. He might never have noticed the arachnid if not for its ember-like eyes and the distinct clacking of its mandibles.

The spider had narrowly avoided a forceful boot to its bulbous skull-shaped abdomen, its slender legs scuttling across the wooden floor. Link armed himself with a slingshot, but by then, the arachnid had fled.

Link firmly believed that someone had placed the spider there, which was no simple task. However, despite the brief commotion that woke his neighbours, there was no sign of the spider or the alleged culprit. If anything, the other Kokiri were more surprised to find Link up at dawn and less surprised by his unwelcome visitor.

"What, you think I'd stick my fingers near one of those things?" Mido, the leader of the Kokiri Elders, had exclaimed angrily when Saria, Link's closest friend, confronted him. "No way! He's making this up!"

And that was how Link's day had begun.

"Alright, let's try again!" Forenz announced, startling Link back to the present.

Barely deflecting a swing that grazed his shoulder, Link leapt away, almost stumbling over his own feet.

"Keep going!" Forenz encouraged, letting Link's mistake slide.

Regaining his composure, Link anticipated Forenz's next attack and successfully blocked it, their wooden swords colliding with a bone-jarring crunch. He danced away and launched his own attack. Though the tip of his sword nearly grazed Forenz's tunic, the older boy's agility thwarted the strike.

"Hah! Almost got you!" Link exclaimed. He'd been so close to winning that round.

"Almost," Forenz acknowledged, his cheerful demeanour replaced by a hint of concern as something caught his attention.

A murmur of voices on the breeze diverted Link's focus from the duel. Forenz, too, glanced over the younger boy's shoulder.

Three Kokiri entered the clearing, observing the sparring duo with curiosity. With a sinking heart, Link recognised them.

Forenz lightly prodded Link with his weapon, trying to get the boy to focus on the duel, but he didn't succeed. Link knew the three Kokiri at the edge of the training field hadn't just stumbled upon him out of idle curiosity, and as usual, he was unsurprised to hear a loud chorus of jeers as they mocked him, imitating his fighting style.