16: Will

I watched as James and Cordelia, danced. I had been standing with Jace, but he had left to go find Clary so I had been looking at James. Suddenly he was staring at something, or rather someone. I followed his gaze to see Grace Blackthorn.

I watched, as James then left Cordelia on the dance floor alone. Cordelia looked quite sad, she then stormed off and out of the ballroom. I then realized why. Cordelia had a crush on James, and she knew that James loved Grace.

I watched as James walked toward Grace, beside her stood Tatiana. Oh by the Angel I thought, what was she doing here? Ever since her father died she had hated us all. As mad as a mouse trapped in a teapot, I had always said.

With her lurking about in the Lightwood manor, with her ward. How dreadful for the girl, she's probably gone mad as well I thought to myself. Tatiana hated all of us, saying that we "Pitilessly slew" her father. I didn't know if she had noticed, but her father had turned into a worm at that time.

"By the Angel, what is she doing here?" Gabriel said, who had come and stood beside me, sounding surprised.

"Coming to bless us with her presence, no doubt." I said dryly.

He laughed a bit. Gabriel and I got along fine now. Though I suspected he liked James more than me. Him and Cecily had always had a soft spot for James.

Tatiana hated Gideon and Gabriel as well. She wouldn't talk to them, and I didn't think that they were fond of her anymore either. Gabriel and I then walked over to where Grace and Tatiana stood.

We reached them and Tatiana glared at us coldly. Why had she even come here? Tessa and I had not invited her. This shall be interesting, I thought to myself.

"Tatiana." Gabriel said surprised.

She sniffed. "Gabriel."

She then looked over at me with a very venomous look.

"William." She said disgustedly.

"Tatiana." I said in the sweetest voice I could, on purpose.

She gave me a withering look. Just then, James had reached us. His eyes were set on Grace, who had looked at floor as soon as she had seen it was him.

Grace had ivory coloured hair and gray eyes. She was a very pretty girl no doubt, and I could see why James loved her.

"James, why don't you take Grace-" I started but Tatiana cut me off.

"She shall go nowhere with him. I do not trust any of you." Tatiana snapped.

"Why are you here?" Gabriel asked her.

"I decided to stop by, on my way to Magnus Bane's." She said.

"Why do you have need of him?" I asked intrigued.

"That is none of your business, now is it?" Tatiana said with a glare.

"No it is not." I admitted. "Well you must be on your way then to Magnus's. Oh and while your there, you might want to ask him if he has a spell to make someone have a heart. I have heard that your ward here, does not have one." I said with a glare.

"Father." James said shocked, his face was very red.

I looked back at Tatiana, who writhing with anger.

"Your are despicable William Herondale, despicable!" She exclaimed angrily.

"I'll show you out, Tatiana." Gabriel said quickly, and he ushered them out of the room.

As I started to walk away, James started to walk with me.

"I cannot believe you just did that." He said to me.

"Well I wasn't going to let her break your heart, and then get away with it was I?" I said.

"Why does Tatiana hate you so much?" James asked me curiously.

"That is a story for another day." I said. "Why don't you go find Cordelia? She looked a little upset when you left her earlier."

James looked a bit confused. "Why would she be upset?"

Just as I was about to respond, I saw Lucie walking up the both of us.

"Have any of you seen Cordelia? I simply cannot find her anywhere." Lucie said worriedly.

In that moment, she looked quite a lot like Tessa. The way her eyes were filled with worry, and how her eyebrows were creased the slightest bit.

"Well hello to you too, spots." James said, using his nickname for her.

"Have you seen her?" She asked again.

"The last time I saw her, I was dancing with her." James said.

"You were dancing with her?" Lucie asked surprised.

"Yeah." He replied causally.

"I saw her walk out of the ballroom, when James stopped dancing with her. She looked upset." I told my daughter.

"Oh no, what have you done now Jamie?" She said tiredly and then she left.

"What did I do?" James said confusedly as Lucie walked away.

I chuckled a bit. "You'll know soon enough."

"Why does everyone keep doing that?" He muttered.

"Doing what?" I asked.

"Giving me odd hints, about the Angel knows what." He said. "You're doing it, Cordelia did, and so did Matthew."

"Well maybe you just need to think harder about what their saying." I suggested.

James swore in welsh, and I frowned. Him and Lucie had made it a habit of doing that, and I didn't like it. I suspected that they had gotten that from Cecily. She had always sworn a lot.

"Just tell me dad. You all know something I don't. What is it?" He asked exhaustedly.

"Well I don't know for sure, but I think Cordelia might fancy you." I said.

James's eyes widened a bit. "Cordelia?"

"Yes." I said.

"No, I don't think so dad. I think she might like Matthew. She fiercely denied it when I asked her the other day." He said.

"Okay." I said.

I didn't talk about it any further. Cordelia would tell him on her own. James then left to go find Matthew, and I left to go find Tessa. I found her speaking with Charlotte, she excused herself as soon as she saw me.

"Hello." She said with a smile. "I heard Tatiana made a surprise visit."

I groaned. "She is absolutely mad, Tess."

Tessa laughed amusedly. "Was Grace with her?"

"Yes. Poor Jamie looked hypnotized." I said sadly.

"He really does love her, doesn't he?" Tessa asked a bit sadly.

"I think does, which is a shame because today I realized Cordelia like him." I said.

"Cordelia liked James?" Tessa asked surprised.

"I think so, but you must not say a word to anyone. I think only Matthew knows. James thinks that she likes Matthew." I said.

Tessa laughed. "Oh Jamie, he is so blind."

I laughed. "That he is."