17 | buoyancy

I WOKE UP ON CAMERON'S CHEST.

The hangover turned my head into a blurry haze. My chest was pressed against his side, and my right arm was thrown on his chest. I clung to his arm so tightly that my hand ached when I released it. How did I end up in this position?

While I was literally sleeping on him, he wasn't touching me more than he had to. His arm underneath me was splayed on the sheet. What happened last night?

I remembered him carrying me back from the beach. Don't leave me. I told him not to leave me while he helped me change into my nightgown, also known as his t-shirt. I asked him not to leave me and cuddled him all night.

Well done, Amber.

In contrast to my position, his arms were far away from my body, like he specifically tried not to touch me all night. It made me feel even worse in a way, as if I invaded his space.

I slowly detached myself from him, showing an effort not to wake him up, and moved to my side of the bed with a sigh. I watched him as he whimpered in his sleep, pulling and rubbing his arm that was underneath me all night.

Last night, I drank enough to loosen up but still remembered every detail. I wouldn't do half of the things I did if I weren't under influence, but I didn't regret any of them. In a way, last night fueled something in me that I should've let go of a while ago. I even had the guts to ask him about us and if he was flirting with Olivia.

The quiet murmurs in my heart gradually became louder, impossible to ignore. Last night was a breaking point for me — I told Cam about everything that happened with Marcus. He was the first person I'd been so open with my feelings. I took a step forward.

When he moved beside me in the bed, fear ran down my spine, and I realized this step wasn't bold enough to face him sober this morning. I jumped out of the bed and headed to the bathroom to freshen up and change into my swimsuit.