||Punishment||

"Rose?"

I closed the room door behind me as my eyes searched my surroundings for my mate. I was hesitant with my movements, wary that she was still upset with me for sending her away and going against her wishes to keep the peace.

After taking a few steps in, I saw that she was sitting on the floor, her hair parted in two as her fingers weaved their way around her strands to form what's she's previously told me was called cornrows.

"Baby." I called again as she ignored me to continue her task.

I walked over to stand right in front of her, before squatting so that we would be at eye level. Indignantly, she huffed and looked away from me.

"Don't be mad at me baby." I murmured as I tried to redirect her face towards mine.

"Stop." She whined in protest. "You're going to make me mess up my hair."

I sighed but relented, placing my hands in my lap to prevent myself from touching her again and upsetting her even more.

Instead, I settled on admiring her; I watched the way her cute little nose scrunched up in focus and the way her pretty eyes avoided my own anytime I would catch her gaze.

"Are you really not going to say anything to me babygirl?"

Her head flashed towards me then, her body language indicating that she was flustered and slightly taken aback by the endearment. I withheld a smirk, instead taking this as an opportunity to shuffle closer to her, hoping that she would allow my selfish intrusion.

"You like that one, don't you?"

Rose nibbled on her bottom lip, her now free hands playing with the ends of her braids as she shook her head at me.

"I'm not talking to you."

"Oh, really?" I probed, semi-amused at how adamant she was being about ignoring me. I felt Bael preening to be let out so that he could play with our bratty girl.

Bael POV

"Rosa..." I purred. "Forgive us for wanting to protect you from witnessing something that would corrupt your pure soul. You know we only have your best interest in mind."

Her brows furrowed as she looked at me.

"B-But how could you just do that? You didn't even take some time to think, o-or come up with other punishments that could've fit your father's crimes. I know you didn't have the best relationship, but how could you just kill him like it was nothing?"

I hummed, letting the silence envelope us for a short moment before I reached over to pull her onto my lap, despite her whines of protest.

"I did think. And after that, I decided that death was what a man like that deserved. Not only that, but it's also what my people wanted. There would be even more violence and unrest if I didn't follow through. So please Rosa, try to understand that what I did was necessary."