-40-

the love of a grimes

"YOU KNOW, SCARLETT'S JOINED THE CLUB," CARL'S VOICE WAS HEARD AS SHE BEGAN TO WAKE UP. Scarlett groaned a bit as she tried to move in the bed. "Woah, Scar, don't move too much!"

"What damn club?" Scarlett murmured though her eyes were still shut. She lifted her hand that did not send a stinging pain throughout her body and wiped her eyes before letting them open softly. The light hurt, but she noticed she was in her cell.

Carl laughed. "Dad and I are in the 'Got Shot' club. Michonne's in it. Daryl, too!"

Scarlett finally managed to get a look at who was in her cell. She almost jumped up at the sight of Daryl standing at the entrance with a concerned expression on his face. Rick sat next to Carl, his own face filled with grief.

"You're an asshole, Daryl Dixon," she grumbled, trying to sit up.

Rick immediately helped her.

"Yeah, you tellin' me somethin' I don' know? How come I leave, everything goes to shit?"

"Maybe you should stop leavin'," she retorted as she heard a loud voice. "Is that—?"

"Merle," Carl groaned out.

Scarlett snorted a laugh at Carl's expression. Wincing a bit, she asked, "Anyone gon' fill me in what happened?"

"Axel's dead," Rick's tone was again defeated. "Governor came in with walkers. They were shooting at us, too. They got you. I thought—" his voice cracked as he shook his head.

Daryl stood up straight as he said, "C'mon, Sheriff Ass-Kicker. Let Officer Friendly talk to Red alone."

Carl rolled his eyes at the nicknames as he stood up. He leaned over and hugged Scarlett softly, ignoring his Dad's worry for her wound. He left with Daryl, and Rick and Scarlett were left alone.

Rick stood up, anger moving into his features.

He went to leave.

"Rick," she called softly. "Please don't go. Tell me what happened... talk to me."

Rick paced a moment before he sat down again.

"I saw you go down, b-but I couldn't do anything!" he growled out. "The walkers were everywhere. The Governor's men were everywhere... Daryl and Merle showed up and scared the hell out of them. They left, but we had to deal with the clean up. Once we got the walkers taken care of, Glenn started ordering everyone to help fix the fence... no one saw you go down but me, Scarlett. I ran to you, and..." he stood again. "I can't lose you. I can't! I'm already losing my mind. If you would have died—"

"But I didn't," Scarlett soothed, grabbing his hand before he could walk away. "Just a cheap shot. He got lucky. I'm still here. C'mere."

Rick sat down once more, letting her pull him close. She leaned her forehead on his as she smiled softly.

"I love you, Rick Grimes, you hear me?" she whispered. "It's gon' take the wrath of God to take me away from you. I love you, and I'm not goin' anywhere. Okay?"

Rick smiled, finally hearing the words he had been wanting to hear. He said them impulsively the other day, and they had not properly spoken about it. He grabbed her face and pulled her into a rough kiss, trying fo convey his feelings into it.

A cough interrupted them causing Rick to scowl slightly.

Hershel stood there with a smirk on his face and Judith in his arms. "Just want to check on her shoulder. You don't mind, do you?"

Rick scooted back and gave Hershel a smile. "Go for it," he said as he took Judith from him. Scarlett felt her heart beat faster as he played with the baby softly, finally letting himself be a father to the newborn.

Hershel hobbled over to the chair, pulling out his kit to check her wound.

"Lucky it went right through," Hershel told her. "Lots of blood, but we were able to keep ya alive and well. Daryl gave you his blood."

Scarlett's eyes furrowed.

"He's O Neg, too?"

Hershel nodded as he checked her arm. He patted her leg before standing up. "You're going to be fine. Nothing strenuous, but I know that means nothing to you. Go on now, I'm sure you want to see the others."

Scarlett kissed Hershel's cheek before taking Judith from Rick and rushing from the room.

"I swear she holds her more than anyone," Rick joked softly, helping Hershel balance himself.

"You know she looks after Carl and Judith as if they were her own," Hershel told him.

"I know. I'm grateful."

"What happens when Judith begins to speak?" Hershel asks softly. Rick understood his question.

"Lori will always be her mother, but Scarlett is her Momma," Rick whispered the words he was trying to come to terms with. "And I'm okay with that. And if... if Carl ever wanted to think of her that way, I wouldn't stop him. S'long as neither lose the fact that Lori is their mother."

Rick felt Hershel pat him on the back. "You're a good man, Rick."

Scarlett went straight over to Daryl after giving Maggie and Beth kisses. She narrowed her eyes as she noticed the bandage on his arm. "You gave me blood. Why?"

Daryl gave her a stupid look.

"Why you think?" Daryl countered. "Called you a stupid lass before, but you proved me wrong. Don't make me take it back," he joked.

She smiled, leaning toward him. "Is it because you care, Daryl? Is that it?" she asked with wide eyes and as dramatic as possible. Daryl shoved her gently since she was holding Judith. "Little Ass-Kicker and I think you care 'bout us."

Daryl snorted a laugh, nodding slightly. "Yeah, Red. I care 'bout you. Tell anyone, I'll deny it."

"HEY, DARYL CAR—" Daryl put his hand over her mouth while he gave everyone a look to turn back to what they were doing. Scarlett was in a fit of giggles as she rocked Judith once the baby began to cry. "You made her cry. Apologize."

"Sorry, Jude," Daryl muttered. "Sorry your Momma's an asshole."

Daryl rushed off laughing as Scarlett went to hit him.