Chapter 20 - The Date... Or is it?

• Dedicated to Danielle Fong

Chapter 20

“Hale! You ready?”

“Coming!” I yell back down to Jake, grabbing one of my long cardigans and running down the stairs, “Claire?”

“Yes Sweetpea?”

“You haven’t seen any ankle boots lying around, have you?” I ask, sifting through the mess of shoes piled in the closet under the stairs.

“Are these it?” Jake asks holding up the shoes I was looking for.

“Thanks.” I say, hopping from one foot to another as I put them on.

He leans against the wall, “Nice top.” He grins.

“Yeah, it’s one of the tops I ‘altered’.”

I turn my back to him so he can see what I mean just as Claire walks in from the kitchen, “Wow Sweetpea, that’s a cool top.”

I smile proudly as they check out the back of my black tee, “Yeah, it’s an Adam Saaks inspired t-shirt. You like cut through bits of the material and you kind of weave them together.”

“You’re going to have to teach me that,” Claire says. She puts her hands on her hips, “Now, what’s the plan?”

Jake shrugs, pulling me towards the door, “We’re going to get something for Hailey’s art project and then we’ll probably have lunch out or something.”

She nods as we start to dash out the door and down the steps, “Ok then. Have fun, but just be back before 6. You’ve got school tomorrow.”

I wave over my shoulder, “Yep, see you later Claire.”

She waves back as she comes out onto the top step, “Remember to stick together, ok?”

“We’re not in preschool mom.” Jake says heading towards the garage.

“Keep your phones on, ok? Stay safe.”

“Love you, Claire.”

She smiles, “Love you too.”

She goes back inside as Sam starts to call out that he can’t find any pants to wear. I turn back around to see Jake leading his motorbike out.

“Hell no. There’s no way I’m getting on that again.”

He laughs, “Hailey, how many times have you been on it while I’m driving?”

I rub my arm uncomfortably, aware of where this is going, “I don’t know… 10 times?” he gives me a look, “Ok, quite a bit…”

He grins, “Exactly. You’re still alive right? Nothing’s happened. You should know by now that you’re safe with me.”

“But my hair actually looks nice for once.” I whine, swapping tactics.

“Don’t be such a drama queen.” He says, handing me a helmet. I sigh and get on behind him. “Put the helmet on Hale.”

With another sigh I do as he asked and soon we’re off…. And once again, I’m plastered to Jake back. Now that I’m not hating him as much for being a complete ass, I’m suddenly much more aware of, well, Jake in general. For goodness sake! I can feel his amazing abbs through his white t-shirt. There’s seriously something wrong with me.

Memories of the pool party come running back to me with open arms; Toned bodies seem to run in the family, just my luck.

 Once we get to the store we have a look at everyone’s costumes, order mine and leave. It takes 10 minutes. Once outside I put my cardigan on and stuff my hands into the pockets, “So what now?”