CHAPTER 38

Valerie's POV

The sound of screeching tires snaps me out of my reverie and I stop chewing on the doughnut in my hand.

I slept this evening after eating an early dinner and I woke up around 10 pm feeling hungry again and also to see that Ryan is not back home.

He usually comes back late but not back after 10 pm is extremely late. He was deeply concerned about me last night so it won't be bad to be concerned about him today too.

I called him before coming downstairs but he didn't pick up.

I sit up from the sofa in the living room after dropping the doughnut back on the plate on the center table. I approach the front door to see if it is him. 

Before I get there, the front door opens and he walks casually in with his briefcase and his blazers hanging on his shoulder.

He doesn't notice my presence until I cough slightly. He stares up at me and smiles.

"Why are you smiling?" I throw him a cold glare with my arms folded across my bosom.

He shakes his head and walks past me. "Nothing."

"Why are you back home late today? Is everything ok?" I turn back to follow him.

"Yep", he mutters nonchalantly. "Work."

"Ok", I say too, wondering what's up with him. The smile didn't reach his eyes and I wonder what is wrong with him.

Did he have a bad day at work? I was waiting for him because I was worried and also because I needed to talk to him about the discussion I had with his mother.

I don't know how he will feel, though but I want to let him know that it's high time we begin to fake the pregnancy.

He takes the staircase up, his briefcase swinging in his left hand and I follow behind him calmly, staring at his back.

He isn't even asking about my shoulder. Has he forgotten so soon about last night?

We get to the room and he enters while I trudge in silently. He does not say anything like I am thinking he will. He just begins to peel off his clothes as I close the door behind me quietly.

The forecaster is wrong again. It rained earlier so I have to sleep here again. 

"Are you ok?" I ask him and he twirls back to nod then continues to take his clothes off.

Why is he snubbing me? I snort and walk to the bed to lie down.

Does he even deserve my concern? 

"Val", I hear him call me. He is changed into his pajamas, I realize. I thought he was going to take a shower. "I have a question for you."