Chapter 57

Beatrice barely remembered anything. She was only aware of the wolves attacking us from all directions and me whispering something to them. Asides from that, she didn't know anything. She wasn't awake when the strange woman spoke to me nor when we reached the hospital.

I gave her a few details of the night, hoping it would set her confusion aside and it did. For the time. She believed whatever I told her.

In the meantime, the doctor visited Beatrice and checked up on her. Her injuries were still bad but it was stitched up and ready to heal. After giving another dose of a painkiller through IV, the doctor decided she could go home and rest.

It was the middle of the day when she had gotten discharged from the hospital and we all were able to leave.

"I'm probably going to sleep for a lifetime." Beatrice said, clinging onto her things that I had gotten from the car that had crashed earlier last night.

We stood outside of the hospital, waiting for Arnold to bring the car and take in Beatrice. I placed my hand over her shoulder and said, "Don't worry. You'll get plenty of time to nap while we go home."

When Arnold pulled over, I helped Beatrice getting inside the car. I wasn't coming along with her as she needed the whole black seat to lay down and rest for the long trip coming ahead of us. I was going with King so I wasn't worried about another accident happening since we were going to follow them.

"Get home safe. I'll be right behind you and if you need anything, call me." I said to her.

She nodded her head and replied, "Thanks."

Arnold drove out of the hospital and got on the town roads. I slipped inside the passenger seat of King's car and blew a breath out of relief. It had been a difficult day but everything wrong was coming to an end. We were finally going to leave Barnsley and I never intended on returning back here.

As much as I wanted to visit my parents grave and stay in their house, I couldn't. There was someone here threatening me and even after years, the threats didn't stop.

I rested my head back on the car seat and cleared my head. For the most part, I got the closure I needed and I grabbed my Dad's journals as well. If I had enough time to read them, I could figure out everything about my parents and what might have happened to them but that all was for another day.

"Tired?" King asked, glancing at me from the driver's seat. He placed an arm over my shoulder and I leaned closer to him. "It's okay. You're going to go home and you'll have all the time to rest." He whispered, caressing my back.

"I'm just glad it's all over." I murmured while closing my heavy eyes.

The drive back to Frostford was a few good hours and since I wasn't driving, I had enough time to fall asleep and wake up fresh for the next thing coming ahead.

Aunt Carol had dropped a couple of messages through the night, asking me of my whereabouts but I ignored that as I didn't want her to know that I was in Barnsley, digging out the truth and in the process, I nearly got myself killed. She had enough worries in her mind for a lifetime, I didn't want to burden her anymore.

But I wondered.

Was she a werewolf?

It must've been a genetic thing or maybe she didn't get the genes. It could've been anything. I didn't wonder much as if Aunt Carol was aware of it, she would've told me about it or at least it would have raised some suspicion.

"Wakey wakey. We are home." A voice reached my ears.

Something soft brushed against my face, drawing me out of my sleep. Upon opening my eyes, I found Beatrice standing next to me with a flower she had plucked in her hand.