CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

THE GOLD;
part three

IT WAS COLD. OUTSIDE IN the frigid, morning air, Atticus was walking down the sides of one of the many footpaths in the Bahamas. He was heading to the docks in search of a free ride back to the island, his island.

When he arrived, he stepped onto the rickety wood and scanned the sidelines, eyes flicking to every boat he passed, big or small, to desperately sooth his urgent need to see his friends and her. He asked person after person, begging for just a quick ride, but they all said the same thing; no. 

As he was walking down the last, small, interconnected dock, head to the floor as he mourned his heartfelt attempt, he was stopped.

"Hey, kid. What're you doin' out here this early?" A voice spoke, his tone sounding from one of the boats tied to the dock. Atticus spared the man a glance, before realising he was actually talking to him.

"Uh- um, I'm trying to find a ride back to the island," he stuttered, locking his hands together behind his back as his feet shuffled against the rotten wood of the dock. The man on the boat grinned with a laugh before shaking his head.

"Depending on what island you're talking about, I might be able to help you." That was it. That was what Atticus had been hoping for.

"The Outer Banks. It's only ten hours away, I can give you-"

"We're going there too, kid. Hop on, we'll take you there, no worries." The man waved the boy on, him thankful and eager excitement being displayed through the bright grin adorning his loose lips.

"Dude, thank you! You're actually a life-saver," Atticus ranted as he pulled the man into a hug, patting his back as he laughed.

"That's okay . . . what's your name?"

"Atticus. Atticus Fletcher." He held his hand out, the man grabbing it to shake with a grin.

"Victor Ford, pleasure to meet you," he smiled.

"The pleasure's all mine, sir," Atticus persisted, his eyes bright as he profusely thanked the man.

"We're gonna take off in a minute, my kids are out the back. You can go say hello if you want," he said as he began to step away, walking towards the stairs leading up to the control wheel.

"Okay, thank you." He watched the man walk away with a bright smile, Atticus was going home.

The boat was small, but big enough to have rooms. Once Atticus clambered into the enclosed space of the vessel, he had stepped foot into the main lounge area. He could see the small bathroom leading off to the side, one pull-out bed running out of the couch where two children were laying.