CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

THE GOLD;
part four

"WHAT?!"

IVELLE LARSON, OR SHOULD it be Ivelle Lewis, had told her two children her deepest, darkest secret. She'd begun with announcing the decision of bringing back her maiden name, Lewis, which the two children agreed on doing to their own last names too as soon as they had the option to. They didn't want to be associated with their father by even the tiniest smidge of information, even if he was still their biological father.

That was when their mother announced the main problem, the main thing she wanted to say, because she'd kept it a secret for far too long.

"So, you're saying, when you disappeared when we were little, you were actually pregnant?" Blake exasperated, hands holding the sides of his head as he stared across at his nervous mother.

"Yes," she sighed with her head down," with twins."

"With twins?" He yelled with strained eyes, his eyebrows raising to the top of his forehead. "We have half-siblings, plural, that we didn't know about?" Renna placed her hand on his shoulder in an attempt to calm him down. He looked at her with wide eyes, wondering how on Earth she was so quiet.

"Was this the guy I saw you with before Midsummers?" The woman only nodded. Renna let out a quiet laugh and shook her head, turning to the side before looking back. "I knew it! I knew it wasn't just a holiday!" Her mum cracked a small smile, Blake looking at her with a scowl, whilst Renna smiled back. "I mean, this isn't really a bad thing, right?"

The girl looked between her mother and brother, the boy staring at her in shock. "I mean, sure it is, but our dad is a murderer. He fucking killed someone. I think we can cut you some slack," she said. Blake looked up to the roof, narrowing his eyes at the chandelier dangling from the ceiling with a sigh, before letting his head drop.

"Okay," he breathed, forcing himself to smile. "It's okay."

"Thank you, thank you for being so understanding," their mother said as she wrapped her arms around them. "And there's, uh- there's another thing too."

"Another thing?" Blake exasperated as he pulled away. 

"Yes, dear. Just one more thing, I promise." She forced a smile.

"Shoot," Renna said with a reassuring smile. 

"They're gonna be staying with us for a while, just as a trial run. It'll be fun, the house feels so empty now." Their mother spun around. Blake was gobsmacked, eyes wide as he watched his mother grin into the emptiness of the hall as Renna's smile faltered in a small glimpse. 

"Uh- okay. When?"

"Tomorrow. They'll be here tomorrow."

"Tomorrow? Oh my god, mum, could you have left it any later?" The boy groaned before turning around, stomping up to his room. She stared after him with her back turned to her mother, eyes trailing behind the path he once walked. She closed her eyes, let her face relax, and took in a deep breath. Then she forced a smile and parted her lips.