28.

Half an hour later

Half an hour later. I was storming through the hallway with breakneck speed to Stefan's apartment whilst wondering what kind of a stupid imbecile I must have been for driving all the way here to pick up a girl who infuriated me to shits.

Getting to his door, the reality of my situation weighed in on me and I stopped.

In as much as I would've loved nothing more than to dump Sienna here and burn all thoughts of her out of my head through any means necessary, she was still my wife-by-law and she was my immediate responsibility and I might lack many peculiarities in life but taking care of my responsibly wasn't one of them.

Satisfied with my justified logic, I took a deep centering breath and rang the doorbell. The door opened a few seconds later and my assistant stepped out.

"Where is she?" I asked him, not having the patience for morals.

He gave me a measured look; like he had something to say but what holding back. After a second, he moved aside and opened the door wide, motioning for me to go in. I took his silent invitation and ambled into the sparsely furnished living room littered with cans of beer and KFC chicken wraps and in the middle of all this disaster was my wife, passed out on the coffee table, her skin sweaty and pasty, looking so vulnerable and made known.

"She zoned out after throwing up," Stefan informed me, standing by my side.

With equal gauges of icy annoyance and disappointment surging through me, I turned to him and seethed. "How could you let this happen?"

"It wasn't planned, I had no idea her alcohol tolerance was hell."

"You had no idea or you just didn't care enough?" I chided with mild irritation.

He frowned. "I do care and don't act like it's all my fault. If you two hadn't quarreled over some shit, she wouldn't have needed to get so wasted in the first place."

The rage inside me sparked alive. I clenched my fists, trying to maintain a semblance of composure. "Are you blaming me for this?"

He stepped forward and stared at me with eyes that were displeased. "If you want me to be honest, I will. Yes, I am. It is your fault so own up to it."

"Own up to it?" I almost laughed. "She got drunk under your watch, not mine." I gritted out clearly for him.

"Well, at least I'm not returning her to you with a dent in her head." He clapped back. "That's the difference between us, I can protect her, you can't."

The implication of his words made anger pulse in my veins, so much that I grabbed his shirt and bunched it up with my fist.

It was low. I knew. It was low of me to allow my emotions rule over my sense of dignity and reservation but with Sienna on the table and him calling my ability to protect her into question, I just wanted to punch my fist into something and his face seemed a perfect fit.