-3.5 back to school

chapter thirty five!

AS MUCH AS ALEX was tempted to just drop out of school to work, she unfortunately valued her education and it was time for her to go back. Seeing as how she hadn't went back to see Shelly for a check up, Shelly couldn't write her out of school any longer. Counselor Blatt had agreed to let her take her online college courses at home if she wished, but she still had one or two classes at school, which meant she had to be there for at least two hours of the day.

Fortunately, both of her classes were first and second period, meaning she could get in and get out so she could go to work.

Today was her first day back after the accident and while she wasn't physically nor mentally prepared, she felt as though she had no option to go.

Walking into the school was like walking back into a nightmare she never wished to relive. There were security checks at the door, which she honestly didn't mind, but the fact that the first thing she walked into was the stairwell was just... something she wasn't prepared for. The daunting memories of Miguel falling and the fights everywhere haunted her like it was all happening before her eyes. She hadn't told anyone but Miguel that she was coming back, as she knew we everyone would insist on being by her side. As much as she loves her friends, she knew this was something she'd have to face alone.

However, that mindset went away the second she began to climb the stairs leading up to her first period class. She was shocked by how surreal the whole thing was. She could hear the screams, the cheers of the people watching, the punches being thrown. It was like she was still there.

She felt a hand on her shoulder and spun around quickly, ready to cry and beg for mercy. Luckily, it was just Hawk, with a concerned look on his face. His Cobras were behind him, and she remembered the conversation she had had with Kreese only a few days before. Hawk held out his arm for her to loop hers with, something he knew brought her comfort. She did so, and the two continued to go up the stairs.

Alex could feel the eyes of everyone around burning into her. She was used to stares, but she still felt as though it was now for a different reason. Mya was at the top of the stairs, Yasmine and a few others around her. Her eyes met Alex's with an emotion Alex couldn't quite place. She gave a smile, although it wasn't like the genuine ones that she had given in their last interaction. This smile held something different.

Hawk glared in the blondes direction, making her look away and back towards her friends. As the two reached the top of the stairs, Alex leaned her head on Hawks shoulder as she looked over at the place where the final moments of Robby's and Miguel's fight had taken place. Hawk pulled her into a hug, Alex letting a few tears pour down her face as she found comfort in her best friend.

Samantha, Demetri, Noah and the other Miyagi-Do's watched with anger. Alex had no idea what the boy had done only two days ago; stealing the money raised at the car wash to give to Miguel themselves, while beating up a small boy in the process. Sam wanted nothing more than to storm over there and tell Alex what he had done. She wanted to take Alex to the Miyagi-Do's and protect her and comfort her herself. But Sam knew from the tears on Alex's face that this wasn't the time to start a fight.

"I shouldn't be here," cried Alex, quietly. Her head was buried in Hawks shoulder, the taller boy glaring over her shoulder at everyone who looked her way. Everyone still was waiting for the supposed psycho to freak out on everyone, although it had yet to happen. A few people in the school even felt sympathy for the girl, finding it hard to believe all the lies that had been spread about the fragile-looking teen. Although Mya had sworn she had owned up to her lies, Alex still was unaware of the truth that she hadn't. "I- I can't do this."

"I'm sorry, A," whispered Hawk. The boy remembered his promise to Miguel. Protect Alex. Be there for Alex. Don't let anything happen to her while I'm not there. "I'll be here with you every step of the way. I swear."