-47-

change

change

MONTHS PASSED, AND THE PRISON FINALLY SEEMED LIKE IT WAS GOING TO BE A PLACE TO LIVE. The people from Woodbury were shyed away from the horrors of the outside world, so they had to learn how to survive... but it worked.

Sasha and Maggie had the idea to set up a meal area, so that was one of the first things to be put into progress. Carol set up a 'Story Time' for the kids that had them learning a bit that they would in school to make things a little normal for them. Daryl had taken three of the capable men and taught them how to hunt so that he was not the only one who was on that duty. There was a Council set up—one of the last installments before things began to prosper.

The Council was made up of Hershel, Maggie, Glenn, Tyreese, Sasha, Carol, Daryl, and Scarlett... though Rick was also a part of it.

Rick had changed.

After he noticed how fearful everyone was of him when they first got the people of Woodbury and how Carl so easily shot that boy during the 'fight,' Rick decided to hang up his guns. That meant Carl had to as well.

Rick started the farm at the prison. He found two pigs that managed to breed more. He was taking care of things in that area for the most part, staying away from making decisions. Despite his new role, everyone on the Council tried to get his opinions on things. Some things he would be vocal about, others... he would say, "Do what's best for the people."

Scarlett was having a hard time with this new change.

She did not hang up her weapons, not seeing the sense to. She needed to be able to protect their land—protect her kids. She would often be invited to do some farm work by Rick, but she could not see the sense in just hanging it all up in this new world. Rick was going through a lot, and she knew that, but some decisions he made were going to hurt them in the end. She did not want that.

"Good afternoon, Lizzie. Mika," she greeted with a smile. She ruffled their hair causing both girls to giggle. She greeted their father as well before moving down the line of people trying to get lunch. "Oh, Daryl!" she called when she saw the hunter back in the safety of the prison. He smirked at her as she pushed passed a bunch of people to get to him. "Damn it," she grunted as someone ran into her. "Still getting used to this."

"You never will," Daryl grunted, glancing around suspiciously. "Oof! Damn, girl!" he called when she hugged him tightly. "What's going on?"

She let go with a sheepish smile as she said, "Rick's not too happy with me this morning, and I really missed my best friend." Daryl flushed a bit at being called her best friend. He knew she considered him family, but hearing it out loud made him feel content.

Daryl sighed, pulling her back in for a hug. He knew the pair were off and on with fights since Rick hanged up his gun.

"What's it about this time?"