CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

THE GOLD;
part five

THE BRIGHT SUNLIGHT SHINING THROUGH the window woke Atticus and Renna up. From her bedroom, they could hear the crashing of the waves of the marsh on the bank in her backyard, and the soft sounds of the chirping birds as the teens slowly settled out of their deep, dreaming states. And yet, they were blissfully unaware of everything other than themselves.

Atticus had an arm slung over Renna's ribs as they slept on their sides, facing each other with Renna's head tucked away in Atticus' chest and his chin rested atop of hers. It was peaceful, they were peaceful, until Renna began to stir.

She shifted slightly, causing Atticus' eyes to bat open; their sight instantly meeting once Renna had moved her head away from the boy's bare chest.

"Hi," she muttered, eyes barely open. He smiled whilst squeezing his eyelids shut once more, rolling over to stretch out his arm that wasn't held beneath her head.

"Good morning," he uttered in the middle of a yawn. He rolled back over, looking at her in the eye, without a single falter. Renna should've known, Atticus was like that - confident and cocky.

The blonde flushed, staring at him with a smile. "What?"

"Nothing." He shook his head, letting out a low laugh, almost a chuckle. They went silent, not an awkward silent, just silent, until Renna's pounding thoughts slipped through her parted lips and into the air between them.

"I wanna talk about last night," she said, her smile disappearing along with her dignity. His, however, didn't falter.

"What about last night?" He asked, his front teeth biting down on his bottom lip as he stared towards the girl he knew he wanted. She laughed.

"Don't be an ass," she mumbled, slightly amused - not that she wanted to be.

"Well, what do you wanna talk about?"

"What you want," she said. His smile, finally, faltered for a split of a second, not even long enough for Renna's racing heart to pound even once. His eyes betrayed him as they flickered around the room, too for a split of a second, as he tried to calm his fast-pacing nerves. God, was she hot.

"I want," he said, slowly, as he raised his finger to trail down the side of her bare arm. She bit back a smile. "to have the opportunity to call you mine." She widened her eyes, her lips parting as he stared down at her, his lips twisting into a smirk. "With your permission, of course."

"Oh, of course," she joked, not laughing, but smiling beyond belief.

"Well?"

"You have my permission," she concluded, that same smile that everyone on the island admired and adored gracing her plump lips. She was all he'd ever wanted, and he was all she needed. They had each other, and that was enough.