°•° 18 °•°

After lunch, most of the guys went to the basement to watch a basketball game rerun while Natasha started dinner and Sav and Deavon helped. I could tell that Sav had wanted to go downstairs to watch the game with her brothers but she knew her mom would appreciate the help. It made me smile to see her thinking about everyone else first.

So even though her brothers invited me to watch the game with them, I stuck upstairs with Sav and fed Abigail.

Sav hopped up on the kitchen island and watched as Deavon made the lemonade while her mom cut up tomatoes for the casserole. She listened as her mom and sister-in-law talked.

"Have you thought up any names yet?" Natasha asked.

Deavon laughed. "I just found out a few days ago. But... maybe a few."

Mrs. White laughed. "I knew you would have. Are you and Nash hoping for a girl or a boy?"

"I want a girl but Nash, being Nash, has wanted a boy since we first started talking about having kids." She rolled her eyes but her bright smile portrayed her true feelings. "But we'll see. God will give us exactly the right kid."

"I agree. He will," Natasha replied. She glanced at Sav, saying, "He gave me the perfect kids for me."

"Ah, Mom, you don't have to go get all sentimental," Sav groaned.

Natasha just grinned wider, reaching up and squishing Sav's cheeks. She swatted her hand away and I couldn't help but laugh with Natahsa. Sav glared at the both of us.

"What about you, Kason?" Deavon asked, drawing me into the conversation. "Any plans for a kid of your own someday? Not that Abby isn't but..."

"No, I get what you mean," I assured, hoping she didn't feel too awkward about her misimplication. "I hope to have a biological kid one day but I think that day is pretty far away."

She tilted her head.

So, I sighed and clarified. "My girlfriend—well, ex girlfriend—and I broke up on kind of bad terms so I'm not sure if I'll get back into dating anytime soon, especially dating to be married."

"Were you and your girlfriend fairly serious?"

I wasn't so sure I wanted to be talking about this, but Deavon meant it kindly just for conversation and Sav was looking at me curiously. I licked my lips nervously and tried to answer the question best I could. "Uh, yeah. We'd been dating for over a year and... yeah. I'm not sure if I loved her so much that I was going to propose any time soon, but I think I might have been close to it maybe..."

"Wow..." Deavon shook her head, her eyebrows scrunched in sympathy. "I'm sorry. But I'm sure God is working it all out for you. I'm sure there is the perfect girl for you somewhere out there. Just give it time and patience and one day it will all be perfect."

I forced a smile, trying to seem as optimistic as Deavon, but inside, it was hard. After Mora cheated on me, it made even thinking about dating a little bit terrifying. Not that I'd admit that to anyone. But I had never thought that Mora would do something like that. It had been such a shock that I wasn't sure when I'd fully recover. When the anger and resentment would finally go away.

Natasha and Deavon moved onto a different conversation, and Sav tried to be a part of it, but I could tell she wasn't fully invested. She kept glancing at me with concerned curiosity, a question that I couldn't decipher in her eyes. But I kept my attention on Abigail. It was easier to focus on her than having to answer questions about Mora...

A few minutes later, my phone buzzed in my pocket. I pulled it out and saw a message from Miranda. Kaybree wants to talk to you if you're free :)