There's a Thin Line Between Love and Hate (3)

"This is all your fault."

"It's my fault as much as it is yours, Emery."

"You threw raw meat at me! You and your stupid friends taped our underwear to the side of the school! Everything I did was just for revenge! Stupid, stupid revenge," I pouted, crossing my arms over my chest and glaring at him with as much hatred as I could muster.

"You didn't need to play those pranks on us for revenge, though. You could have just sat there and took it," Jesse told me smugly, crossing his arms over his chest as well. "So it's your fault that we're being sent to Camp Kingsley or whatever it's called."

"Camp Kingston," I corrected, glaring at him even harder, if that was possible. Why did he have to be so annoying all the time? I just didn't get it!

"It matters."

I rolled my eyes, continuing to wait outside Headmaster Solomon's office for Headmistress Belladonna. I wasn't allowed to go back to Adeline until she came out, and Jesse was forced to wait with me as well. They thought it would be helpful or something. I just found that more troublesome then helpful.

I sighed in frustration, leaning against the wall by the door. Couldn't she just come out already? If I had to spend another second with this idiot, I was going to explode!

"Aw, you're so cute when you're upset, Emery," Jesse teased, reaching over and tugging at a piece of my hair.

I slapped his hand away. "Don't touch me, Jacobsen," I threatened forcefully, glaring at him even more. That's all I did when Jesse was around. Glare, glare, glare. He was just so annoying.

"But, Emery, don't you love me?" he smirked, stepping closer to me, which only caused me to take a few steps back, away from him.

"How can one person be so annoying?"

"It's very easy, actually."

"It was a rhetorical question!"

Jesse let out a bark of laughter, shaking his head as he did so. "You're so fun to make fun of, Emery. It's like you act this way on purpose so I can pick on you or something."

"I definitely do not do that!" I shouted, a little louder than I had meant to. But did he seriously think that I acted like I hated him so he could just make fun of me? I acted this way so he would leave me alone, which didn't even work! If I acted nicely to him, he wouldn't leave, he would just get closer. But I was sure he could never act nice to me, so there was no use in trying that.

I didn't even think Jesse could be nice to anyone. But he cared for his cousin Marnie and Yolanda, didn't he? He seemed like he really didn't want me to find out who the other person he cared about was, so it had to be someone he liked, right? I couldn't think of anyone else whose name started with a Y besides Yolanda, so it had to be her. And it wasn't like he didn't even know who she was. He had played a prank specifically on her.

But I still believed that he was incapable of feelings. He was just... he was Jesse! And for the four years that I had known him, he didn't show like he cared for anyone but himself! It shocked me to find out that he cared about his cousin, so of course I was shocked when I found out that he actually liked someone!

And Yolanda, too. Shy Yolanda! I thought that Jesse would like someone who was as obnoxious and annoying as him, not someone as quiet and timid as Yolanda. I'll never understand that boy. Ever. He was just way too confusing for me.

"Alright, Jordan, we can go now," I heard Headmistress Belladonna say as the door to Headmaster Solomon's office opened. "Sorry to keep you two waiting."