CHAPTER 45

Ryan's POV

John continues to horn continuously until I become frustrated and tell him to stop. I open the car door to get out, looking around with arms akimbo.

Aren't they home?

I take long strides to the gate. It isn't looking like it is locked from behind.

As I push it to know if my assumptions are right, the small gate opens and I turn to John who shakes his head.

Apparently, they no longer have guards around the house and even a gateman. They should have at least locked the gate from behind.

I signal to him to wait for me outside as I open the gate and enter. Everywhere is messy. The flowers are withering gradually, probably because the gardener has been sacked too. The courtyard is in a pitiful state and I wonder if this is part of Valerie's concern for her parents.

I ignore the rest of the surroundings as I make my way to the front door with my hands in my pocket.

This is the third time I will be here. The first time, John horned for several minutes, waiting for the door to be thrown open to allow us in but there was no reply.

The second time was the same thing.

The house looks deserted but I want to know if there is no one at home. 

Where are Mr. Adams and his wife?

If they aren't home, where are they then? I know Mr. Adams isn't allowed into his company anymore because of the bankruptcy case and his wife doesn't go to her mall any longer too because it has been seized by the authorities.

While searching for answers to the questions I have been asking myself since I visited my father in his office, I have come to realize a lot of things that have not been displayed in the limelight about Valerie's father.

I am so sure she doesn't know this about him either. The most important one which I found out today is the fact that he is not only bankrupt but his properties have also been seized by the FBI and investigations are ongoing.

I haven't found out the source yet and why his properties were seized and that is what I am here for.

I need answers. I can't keep up with the questions again. I can no longer provide myself with presumptuous theories to answer the questions when there is someone who can give real answers to them.

Mr. Adams has all the answers.

I turn the doorknob and the door makes a creaking sound before I enter inside, everything is silent as a graveyard.

Is anyone here? If there aren't, then why didn't they lock all the doors? 

I find myself venturing fully into the house and not going back to the gate so John can take me back to work since I can't find anyone here.