Sixty-Four

Blaise Beck-Day

Blaise Beck-Day.

"Man, I am a fucking wreck. I am taking her out on a proper date tonight. Should I take her to see a movie? Or to dinner? I know her better than anyone else but I just don't want to mess this up. You got any ideas?"

He rocked in his chair, oxygen going up his nose in tubes as his eyes fluttered from me to the television with big captions over the screen so large that you could barely see the football game behind it.

He chuckled. "Take her to the races."

I raised an eyebrow, "We don't have races around here."

"I wasn't talking about that kind of racing." He continued to rock, his feet slowly coming up and off the ground and then back down again. The small fabric-covered chair squeaked as he moved.

I coughed. "Dinner and a movie? What should I get for dinner?"

He shook his head. "Dessert and a movie."

Chuckling, I pointed a finger at him. "You always had a sweet tooth, Buddy." I teased.

He stared me dead in the face. "Well– you always had a smart mouth. Your parents should've disciplined you more. I don't like my players acting like assholes."

I smiled at him knowingly. "Yes coach," I responded.

"What's Helen bringing home for dinner tonight? Maybe that's what I'll get our girl." I spread my legs wider on the couch as I relaxed. He whistled for a moment before shrugging.

"I was in the mood for pasta. She makes the best sauce but I'll tell you a secret, it's not homemade. It's Ragu, and she adds a cup of sugar to it. The best sweet sauce you'll ever have. Trust me."

Just hearing spaghetti sauce and sugar in the same sentence made my skin crawl but it's what he loves and she made it so it's even more special. This then got me thinking... Did Sage like that sauce too?

"You know what– I think I might make that tonight."

"Don't, you'll ruin it. Who knows where those hands have been? Disgusting." I burst into laughter, his eyes crinkling as he laughed too. His hands went up to his scalp, itching it. There were slight blood bruises all over his arms and hands that made my heart swivel up.