TWENTY-FOUR: On Our Terms

The VKs and the King of Auradon awoke the next morning in their rooms at Hades' Palace. The group said nothing to each other as they walked through the halls, following torches lit with blue flames along the walls. They headed into the dining room, the gorgeous obsidian of the palace glittering due to fire from another fireplace. There was even a golden table fountain in the center of the table with blue fire flowing from its spouts. The skeleton courtiers showed each person to their seats, specifically ornate chairs reserved for the king and queen. The guests noticed the plates and cutlery were already laid out in front of them before shifting their attention toward the decadent display of food set out before them. The table was filled with an array of food, covering breakfast, lunch and dinner in a single sitting.

"Be sure to eat up, children. You have a long day ahead of you," announced Hades, officially starting the meal. Either out of hunger or curiosity, the VKs and the king began to place food onto the plate. Harry and Celia in particular seemed to be loading up their plates with everything in sight.

"Long day?" questioned Carlos.

Hades took a short pause from his meal. "You didn't think you would be staying down here forever, did you?"

Right. Today they would be returning to their home world, the world above. And with their return, they would also need to somehow Maleficent and free their friends.

The meal continued smoothly, conversation few and far in between as the kids made sure to eat. After the meal, Carlos told Jay he would be returning to their shared room before their journey home. But as the younger boy started walking, he then began to wander around the palace. He didn't know where he was nor did he try to make note of it as he was too lost in his thoughts to notice he was falling behind.

If he didn't know any better, he could've swore yesterday was some horrible nightmare. But it was true, and he didn't know where to begin as to how to get out of it. It was bad enough having the fate of Auradon and Olympus on their shoulders, but now the very life of their best friend and his girlfriend was on the line as well. Helena was stuck in some sleeping curse with a clock ticking down until it reached her end. Worse yet, he and Helena didn't leave things on good terms. He and Helena had their problems, all of which started because he was scared that he was going to lose her. And now there was a real chance he was going to lose her forever.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

"Ah!" exclaimed the de Vil boy, jumping out of his skin to Persephone now next to him. He didn't even hear her approach. "When did you-"

"I'm a goddess. Popping up at random times is part of the shtick." The queen walked in step with Carlos. "So, care to share what's got you so lost in thought?"

"A lot of things."

Persephone knew why he gave that vague answer. "Would some of those things have to do with my daughter?"

"... Yes."

"Though I do know a bit about love, I am not Aphrodite so I shall not speak on the matter as if I'm an expert. And Hades and I made a promise to never involve ourselves in our daughter's love life ... But I know a lot of fear. I have seen it control men and gods alike, make a puppet out of a person and control their body and mind."

"How did you fight it?"

"Trust in what you know to be true. The answers are right in front of you, you just have to be strong enough to believe them. Focus on what is right in front of you. Don't worry about what could be, worry about what is."

"How do we even do this?" Carlos asked frustratedly, the two stopping in the hall. He turned toward the goddess, "How do we stop one of the most notorious villains in the land, especially when she's been working with other villains all this time? How do we free our friends that are being held hostage and being used as leverage against us? How do we get Helena back? ... I just want her back and for all this madness to end ... and for things to go back to the way they were."