Chapter 6

I'm not sure if I fell asleep or not.

Maybe I was just lying there for a while, in complete oblivion. I really don't know. My thoughts were so blurry that I could have been dreaming the entire time.

What if it was all a dream? Maybe I would wake up from this devastating nightmare. And Mom would be there to stroke my hair and tell me it was just a dream. A horrible dream that could never possibly happen, that it was just my mind creating bad scenarios in my dreams. Because my mind knows what I fear.

I know what I'm afraid of.

I sat up, looking in the mirror at my messy hair and wrinkled uniform. I forgot to take it off. The clock in the kitchen downstairs rang noon.

I was a mess.

I rearranged my uniform carefully. I brushed my furiously tangled hair and washed my face in the bathroom sink. Then I slowly walked down the stairs and saw Shigure sitting on the couch.

"Y/N, I have something to tell you." He started.

I knew what it was long, long before he said anything. Still, I let him continue.

"Your mother passed away an hour ago." Shigure said. I sat down on a chair and then did the most strange thing I maybe have ever done in my life.

I laughed. And laughed. I couldn't stop.

"This, this just doesn't happen. Teenagers don't just lose their moms like that." I said between hysterical giggling. He looked extremely confused at the sight of me laughing.

"This-this is hilarious. It can't be happening." I said, suddenly serious at the last sentence. He nodded.

"Plus, I have discovered something. The odds of this happening are ridiculously low, but it turns out that I knew your mother, even before you moved." He stated. My eyes widened.

"Wha- how? We lived in (your country) before we moved. That's impossible." I said, shaking my head.

"Your mother and I were pen pals in middle school and high school. Then, on my college trip to (your country), she was my tour guide. Isn't that amazing? I had no idea until just a little while ago." He looked out the window, seeming to reminisce about the past.

"But Y/N, in all seriousness, are you going to be okay?" He said, snapping back to the present.

I gave a look that was comprised of sadness, yet an air of relief.

"I'm just glad she's not suffering anymore." I said. Shigure looked astounded. "Really, if she had lived, all of her life would be in pain. Maybe it was better, the way it turned out. But, yeah, Shigure, I'll be okay." He nodded. I gave a smile. One that at the same time, broke my heart.

"I think I'm going to go to school. I only missed the first three hours, so I think I'll be okay. Goodbye." I waved as I grabbed my backpack, that had been abandoned by the door last night. I slid on my black flats and did a final 'Do I look okay?' test before retreating out the door.

I paused at the halfway mark to school. Here's where I always decide which way to take. There's a fork in the road here. Well, metaphorically.

The first way is the sidewalk. Not creative, but it gets you to school pretty quickly.

The second way is through the park. The flowers are beautiful and fragrant in the spring, and the smell of autumn leaves that colors the wind in fall was beautiful this time of year. But, alas, it took almost twice the time to get there.

Usually, I picked the latter. Today it was no different, even though my life had changed so drastically that I haven't even taken it in yet.

I have no hurry to get to school, anyway.

The park was secluded, as it was a school day. So, I walked alone, only the birds that traced a path through the park and snaked through the trees to keep me company.

Once I got to school and hung my backpack on its usual hook in my locker, the lunch bell rang, letting a flow of students begin to ooze out into the halls. I ducked down, trying not to get noticed until I found Tohru.

There! Walking out of Biology with Uo. I sneaked through the halls like a tiger awaiting prey. Finally, I pounced.

Again, metaphorically.

"Tohru, I have something to tell you." I said.

"Y/N! I thought you stayed home!" Tohru said. She was shocked at my appearance. She turned around to face me, very worried. Uo was nowhere to be seen.

"Tohru, my mom passed away."

She looked heartbroken.

"Tohru, don't cry." I said.

"*sniff* aren't you sad?" She asked.

"Yeah, but I've cried way too much recently. I don't think I can cry anymore." I shook my head, looking down.

I think my mother's death kinda broke the part of me that held emotions. Right now, I was completely numb.

"I'm so sorry, Y/N." She told me.

"Thanks so much for worrying about me, Tohru. It's nice to know that someone cares about me." I smiled. She rubbed her eyes and smiled back.

"Hold up, is that- Y/N!" I heard from a distance. Footsteps ensued the yell, fast ones.

"I thought you stayed home, Y/N!" It was Kyo, and soon after, Yuki followed him, seeing me and thinking the same thing.

"Guys, my mom just passed away." They gasped, in complete shock. Yuki out his hand up to his mouth to cover the fact that his jaw dropped, and Kyo jumped, taking a step back in disbelief.

"Y/N, I'm sorry." Yuki said, bringing his hand down and closing his eyes. Kyo looked down and away while saying, "I'm sorry."

"It's okay." I said. I clasped my hands together.

"Are you going to stay the entire day, Y/N?" Yuki asked politely.

"Yeah. I think I'll be okay. Don't worry about me, I'll be fine." I said. The halls were now almost empty, everyone being at lunch. I walked with them down to the cafeteria.

I know my mom isn't truly gone. She will be present in both my heart and my dreams. Beside, my memories remain. And they're good ones, too. I'm proud to have had such a good mom that looked after me when no one else would. But now, I have friends that will take care of me. I know that mom would have liked me to stay with my friends and Shigure. Plus, knowing that my mom personally knew Shigure. I still can't believe that.

And the way Shigure said it... it was almost like he had lost his true love or something. But, I don't know. I could be wrong. I probably am.

A/N- Hello my tamodachis! It's good to see you all. Lately, I've been astounded by the amount of votes and nice comments and inboxes I've gotten.

I've been wondering if there are any artists out there! I do love to draw(but I don't always like the outcome)! If you have any ideas for fanart, please send it to my Kik, which is Katrinakittykupkakes. If I get any, it might be put on the fanfic! I will accept all drawings.

So far, it's been a bumpy ride, and I apologize for that. It will get better.

Lately, I've been watching a crapton of animes. I started watching Kamisama Hajimemashita. If you haven't seen that one, it's SOO GOOD! I also watch OHSHC, One Piece, Black Butler, Blue Exorcist, Hetalia, and, of course, FRUITS BASKET!!! I wonder how many fans there are.

There was this huge gap between postings, and now I think I will extinguish that and start posting at least three times a week. YAY!

Alright, I don't usually beg for votes(lol jk I'm worse than a starving hobo), so one vote equals one less time there is a broken screen door that Tohru has to fix, okay? ( T_T)\(^-^ )