69 | White Aster

A few days passed, and the evening of Laydel's annual summer festival had finally arrived. Standing excitedly at the foyer of the Cherliann estate, were a pair of young girls. Their smiles and exuberant laughs infectious to the guards and maids passing by.

Despite the fact Irene already visited the summer festival in the past, it was nice to be able to experience the same event with new people by her side. At the same time, this was a good opportunity for her to try and help Isabella and Daniel's relationship blossom.

From their conversation a few days ago, it seemed Isabella was interested in Daniel, though she never admitted it openly. Even so, the white-haired female remained determined to ensure they got together.

After all, Isabella was the protagonist of the story. She was someone who, if led down her original path, would become a wonderful empress to her people, not just Daniel's lover. Though Irene was well aware of her own position, being someone who the nobles currently supported as the empress candidate - she wished to avoid that outcome.

It was clear the first prince had taken an interest in her, of sorts. That was inevitable, since their first encounter at the victory banquet four years ago - a meeting that should have been between him and Isabella, not Irene. As a result, she ended up capturing Daniel's attention.

He even asked for her hand in marriage - although he withdrew that suggestion almost immediately out of courtesy. Marrying Irene Cherliann - or even forming an engagement with her, was sure to spark people's approval of the first prince. After all, rather than royalty, the country relied on the Cherliann household.

Ever since their previous king had passed, Rudien Cherliann did everything in his power to protect the nation. With help from House Atlan, Einfred and Firventia, the country remained stable in areas Cherliann had little expertise. However, it had become an unspoken expectation that Irene Cherliann, daughter of Rudien Cherliann — the hero of the nation and their late emperor's closest vassal — would become empress.

Irene herself knew the pressure of this would come to haunt her in the future, especially when she would become of age. In Laydel, girls were seen as women the moment they turned sixteen, so in her case - she had four years left.

Four years to try and wriggle out of the country's unspoken desire to see the crown on her head, and place it on Isabella's instead. Perhaps it was wrong of her to try and manipulate such a responsibility onto her friend - but at the same time - Irene was the only one who really knew how capable the true heroine was.

Isabella Einfred was made to be an Empress. Even if things had changed in this life, it didn't mean that fact didn't remain. Irene did not wish to bear the title of Empress - solely because she couldn't see herself in that position, or by Daniel's side. As the author of this world and someone who woke up in the body of a villainous character, it had been her goal from the start to stay away from any risks.

Over the last few days, Irene avoided Daniel as much as she could. Now that the prince was living at the estate, it made it difficult not to run into him by chance. Their eyes would often meet in the halls or the training grounds. Even during family dinners accompanied by both young princes, she would leave the table after he had finished eating first, and purposefully eat slower as a result.

Daniel probably noticed this, but hadn't seemed too interested in getting involved either, contrary to his attitude and words in the past. It seemed the first prince already had enough on his plate, and always wore a rather distant aura about him. Though he maintained an affable image with those within the manor, Irene realised it whenever she caught herself staring in observation.

There was always an isolated look in his eyes. As though Daniel was looking far, far away into an unknown abyss. As if something was constantly bothering him.