Sixty-Five

Sage Williams

Sage Williams

Someone needed to pinch me or they should never wake me up from this dream that I was currently living in.

I curled into him. I woke up at some point throughout the night and moved to the inside of him and the couch.

I wished I would have taken his bed, or dragged him to the bed with me. But I just stared at him in the dark, the small light was provided by a plug-in lamp in the kitchen. He slept on his arms still, his eyelashes were so thick and they covered his eyes like a comfy blanket as he slept.

He was so warm.

I forgot how warm he was in the mornings.

I forgot how good this felt.

I nuzzled my head into his neck closer, breathing him in. I listened to his heartbeat, and I watched as his chest raised and lowered. All of the blankets were covering me– not because I hogged it, but because he rarely got cold when he slept– he was always warm.

His hair sat on his forehead, disheveled as if he spent the night swimming in nightmares. I hope that it was the opposite, for me there were no nightmares. For me, it felt like the night I had been dreaming of for two years. It was like sleeping on the cool side of your pillow the entire night, or climbing into bed with freshly shaven legs– he was so comforting to sleep with.

I never had a baby blanket growing up– he was my baby blanket.

I slept best with him. Always have. That's why we always had sleepovers, and we were allowed to have them because of the fact that the two of us were so comforting together.

"Get your lips off of my neck before I put my lips somewhere that will make you scream."

I jumped as I heard his voice. His morning voice now was groggy, it was deep, and it sounded like he needed a few long sips of water. Or hot tea. He sounded congested– but he was always that way in the morning.

My cheeks flushed pink, pulling away quickly, not realizing my face that was pressed against his neck was having that much of an effect on him. He let out a chuckle, slowly shuffling, his eyes slowly blinking as he turned to face me. He laid on his arm, and I laid on mine. Just staring at each other this morning.