Chapter Fifty-Nine

The Royal Lodge

The Royal Lodge

Sophie Ashe

I lay on the pebbled foreshore in Nico's arms. He was still gripping me from pulling me out of the freezing lake. The lake lapped against our ankles, and we just lay there in silence as snow fell around us.

Rayne had finally come to collect his debt, and he had taken Casper from me. The blood boiled in my veins. I wanted to murder that silver hair bastard. I wanted to hunt him down and tear him limb from limb for taking Casper away from me.

Yet, there was a small voice of reason in the back of my mind, questioning if Rayne was truly my enemy. Perhaps this was the incentive that would help my powers manifest and kill whatever was guarding the silver birch tree that held Mia's soul prisoner.

I looked up at Nico, who was panting hard from pulling me out of the lake.

"Where's Rudolph's mother?" I asked.

"She left yesterday with Rudolph, Christie, and her daughter. They took two cars, but only one went to Port Cressida. I had my team place trackers on both cars. The other car headed north along the mountain road," Nico said. "We traced the forwarding number to her room at the lodge. She's been a guest at this lodge for years. We think she's the one who has been picking up girls from the Spit and bringing them to the lodge. She's the one who's been behind all the killings."

I stared at the night sky and wondered how this might work in our favour if Rudolph's mother was discovered to be the woman stuffing dead girls into trees. This might be the silver bullet that destroys Rudolph's aspirations to remove Casper from the throne and install himself as the new king.

"We need to find her and bring her to justice. Do you think she might be where the silver birch tree is?"

Nico shrugged, "No, but I suggest we pay her a visit. Even if she is not at the site of the silver birch tree, she should know where it is."

He pulled himself to his feet and offered me a hand up. I took up, and together we walked briskly back to the lodge. As we walked, I asked, "Why would Rudolph's mother do this? She's Casper's Aunt."

"The crazy bitch probably wants to kick Casper off the throne and crown her idiot son as King," Nico theorised.

Rudolph was desperate for the throne. He had never done any favours for us unless he benefited from it.

A panicked thought crossed my mind. Had she taken any servants with her when she left? Was she planning another sacrifice?

"Did any servants go with her?" I asked.

"I'd need to check with my team," he said, ushering me through the front door.

As we strode across the foyer, several of Nico's security team ran to us with grainy photographs of a classic car.