V: Coming Back (Pt. 2 of 3)

A week passed with no recalled memories, but I did learn some new things thanks to Jewel and the kids. I worked as a mid-level specialist for a law firm, which explained the nice house and cars, as well as my generous health benefits package. I'd also been in great shape before the crash, which meant getting back on the horse with our custom gym to build myself back up to where I'd been.

Regaining physical momentum wasn't the hassle I thought it would be, but Jewel's presence was. I still felt uncomfortable sleeping the same bed as her, but she still saw me as the same man she'd married eight years ago. She tried to respect my need to get used to her, but apparently the sight of me working out was too much for her libido to take, as she kept "forgetting" that I wasn't ready for her to join me.

I understood that it had been a hot minute since we'd made love, but it still made me very uncomfortable to get to the middle of a workout and have Jewel saunter in in a too-small sports bra and leggings. Our home gym wasn't exactly spacious either, which just made things all the more awkward... and tense.

"Can't... you let me get through with this set?" I grunted, trying not to stare at her pert backside in the mirror. "This is harder than it looks and you're distracting me."

"Don't mind me, Brad, just checking in on you." Jewel said.

That was another thing that was starting to get on my nerves. Jewel kept popping in to "check up" on me no matter what I was doing. It didn't matter if I was buttering toast for Daniel or helping Shawna with chalk drawings, Jewel was an ever-present observer. Almost as if she was afraid I'd lose my memories again should she be away too long.

"Well, I hope you're ready to check out at 6:00 tonight, because you've got a big surprise coming." I said, doing everything in my power to concentrate on deadlifts instead of Jewel's strained top. "I haven't forgotten everything."

That seemed to satisfy Jewel, and she left to fix herself some flavored water. I breathed out as I set back the dumbbells, half from exhaustion and half from frustration. I'd hoped this week together would bring me and my wife back together, but if anything, we felt more distant than the day I'd come home from the hospital.

"How much are you up to?"

I looked over my shoulder to find Daniel, a cocky grin on his face that reminded me of the ones I sported in old photographs. Apparently, he was a big pro wrestling fan, and I'd agreed to (carefully) start him up on weights for his 6th birthday.

"Ahm upto fiftee pownds." I said in a bad Arnold Schwarzenegger voice. "Yoo tink yoo ah reddy fo' ah ten pownd weet?"

"Yoz eye'm!" Daniel said with an even worse impression.

I grinned as Daniel rushed to the cabinet to put on his tiny exercise gloves, while I pulled out a 10 for him. He power walked back over, flexing and yelling, and I joined in as my smile broadened. Things might be difficult for Jewel given that she'd known me longer, but I was doing much better with the kids. Shawna had practically squealed with delight when I helped her finish her drawing of the house, and Daniel, well...

"Stehp ahside weekleens! Eye well lift de hevvy weets!" he said.

I took everything in my power not to laugh. Daniel had his chest puff out and his jaw clenched, arms outstretched in what he assumed was a tough-as-nails bodybuilder pose but just made him look adorable instead. But hey, who was I to deny him?

"What do you think you're doing, Brad!"

Daniel deflated all at once as Jewel walked in, hands on generous hips and "stern lecture incoming" written all over her face. With effort, she snatched the 10 out of my hand and laid it on the rack, shooting me a furious look as she did.