twelve

"This place seems to magically be up and running, money gets deposited every day" I instantly cringe when I hear the sound of Ignacio's voice as he enters the bakery

"How are you doing it?" He leans over the counter and I keep boxing the small cupcake.

"I mean you aren't employed with how busy you are trying to play doctor right? And you quit after working for me for less than a week. Don't tell me innocent little Grace is..."—

"If the next words to come out of your mouth are anywhere disrespectful, I suggest you keep it shut" I gesture to the knife beside me and he only smiles with a chuckle.

"You grew up to be so feisty, what happened to the young girl who used to patch me up when I hurt my leg when we were kids?" He pouts and it makes me roll my eyes.

"She stopped caring when you became a narcissistic asshole and made everyone's life miserable as if you didn't grow up in the same neighborhood" I reply to him and he looks down at his watch.

"Ouch. Everyone here is still so uptight. If you had the chance to inherit as much money as I did, enlighten me on what you would do?"

"I would give back to the elderly that helped raise me, give funds to the children that have to ask for a job before they even reach high school. I wouldn't take their hard-earned money because I can, the money you have is more than enough to give back. But you've just grown to be selfish" I grab the box and walk from behind the counter, leaving Ignacio to stand and think about my words.

"And that's your problem Grace, you're too nice and naive. People take advantage of that, if I went throwing money at people from the kindness of my heart, they'd keep asking until they run me dry and not look at me again" He speaks as I place the box on the table for the man and his son.

"You should know a thing or two about being taken advantage of" He's beside me now, clicking his tongue in my ear.

"You're a terrible man, I remember the small boy who said he'd never turn out like his father" My words cause him to pause, and I see his jaw clench before he goes to respond.

"That small boy was just as stupid as the young girl who sat there and believed him" He finally says to me, exiting the bakery and letting the bell ring as he leaves. I take a deep breath and shake my head.

"If this is how you ignore me during a fake marriage, I don't want to know what it'll be like when you truly do get married" Flora enters the bakery next with her arms crossed, a snow jacket on, and a scarf around her neck.

"I haven't had time to look at my phone, I almost forgot I even had one. I'm sorry" I say, going behind the counter to get her a warm drink.

"A friend of mine at an elementary school said she saw you bringing in a little girl. Did you hide a baby from me or something?" She sits down on the stool and asks me with her eyebrows pushed together.