It Returns...Univited

"Miss Morgenstern, can you please stop tossing and turning? Not only is it annoying, it's also not helping me try a treat you." Magnus snapped sassily.

"I can't, I'm trying but I can't. I'm sorry." Clary said breathlessly as she continued to squirm.

"By the Angel Magnus, what did you do?" Tessa asked as she placed a bowl of cold water by Clary's bedside table and pressed the cold compress from the bowl on Clary's head.

"I didn't do anything Tessa, she just started glowing." Magnus answered whispering the last part.

"I'm glowing?" Clary asked shooting up.

"Miss Morgenstern, can you please lie back down?" Magnus snapped as he pushed Clary back down.

"But I'm glowing." Clary answered panicked. She tried to lift a hand to see if she really was glowing but Magnus held her arm down before she even hand the chance to.

"Clary, we can't figure out what's going on if you keep moving. Can you try and stay still?" Tessa asked. Clary nodded. "Okay, me and Magnus are going to go over there for a minute to read something. If anything happens just shout us." Clary nodded again and Tessa and Magnus walked over to where Tessa had pointed. "You don't have to snap at her you know, she's scared. She doesn't understand what's going on." Tessa said to Magnus.

"I know that Miss Gray but I need to figure out what's happening inside of her before something bad happens." Magnus answered.

"You do know that Clary's glowing right?" Brother Zachariah asked as he walked into the infirmary.

"Yes we do." Tessa answered.

"No I mean really glowing." Brother Zachariah said. Tessa and Magnus looked over at Clary and their faces changed immediately. They both ran over to her.

"You don't think it could be Magnus." Tessa said in a hushed tone.

"It's the only logical thing." Magnus answered.

"But it isn't logical." Tessa answered. Clary looked to her face. Tessa's eyes were wide with fear and her body tense. Clary's vision became blurred for a second but then it went back to normal.
Lying around her bed where Magnus, Brother Zachariah and Tessa were still stood were bodies covered in blood. Jace. Simon. Izzy. Alec. Jocelyn. Luke. Everyone. Clary began to scream.

"Clary what's wrong?" Brother Zachariah asked worriedly.

"The-the-the bodies." Clary cried.

"What bodies?" Tessa asked.

"The ones lying next to you, can you not see them?" Clary asked.

"It's heavenly fire. There's no other way it works out." Magnus said rushing over to one of the many books piled arlhnd the room and ruahed back over to them.

"Magnus, it doesn't make sense though. How's the heavenly fire gotten in to her?" Tessa asked.

"Sebastian or Jace." Magnus stated.

"Jonathan. His name's Jonathan." Clary almost screamed as her body started to feel as if it was burning her from the inside out.

"Magnus, we need to get the heavenly fire out of her. And fast." Tessa said in an urgent tone.

***

Jace stood on the balance beam at the top of the training room but lost his balance and fell as the sound of Clary's screaming broke through the silent Institute.

Jace sat up and rested his elbows on his knees and placed his head in his hands as Clary's screams became louder. Suddenly in a burst of anger Jace snatched a blade from the floor, stood up and threw it at the wall. It lodged itself in the wooden wall.

"Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!" Jace shouted at the top of his lungs. For a second Clary's screaming stopped but started up again soon again. Jace grabbed a hadful of knives and started throwing them in the same direction as he had thrown the first. As he let the last one fly out his hand Izzy walked into the training room and grabbed the knife before it lodged itself where the other knives were.

"Mum isn't going to be happy about that." Izzy said pointing at the wall by the door.

"Who cares?! It's a training room! What else is a training room supposed to be used for?!" Jace shouted.

"By the Angel, don't shoot the messenger." Izzy commented as she climbed up onto the balance beam at the top of the training room and started balancing herself. Jace sat down on the floor and got into his previous position; elbows on knees and his head in his hands. Clary's screams continued.

"She sounds like she's dying." Jace whispered as he kept his head in his hands.

"That doesn't mean she is." Izzy answered as she started to do numerous flips.

"It doesn't mean she isn't." Jace said.

"Jace," Izzy said jumping off the beam and landing with extreme ellegance. She sat down next to Jace. "Clary's hurting and she's going to be hurting for a long time. She needs you. She needs you to be strong."

"How do I do that though when she's lying in there screaming in pain and I can't do anything about it?" Jace asked.

"You've just got to be there for her even if you can't be there physically." Izzy said.

"Thank you Iz, you know you're a pretty cool sister." Jace answered.

"I know, now go be there for her whatever way you can." Izzy smiled and pushed Jace towards the door as they both stood up. Jace was gone in a second.

***

"I need Jace!" Clary screamed as her body continued to feel like it was on fire.

"Miss Morgenstern, you really aren't being any help to the situation at hand." Magnus answered.

"And neither are you Magnus." Tessa commented in an angry tone.

"It's heavenly fire." Jace said walking into the infirmary with numerous textbooks in his hands. He threw them down onto the bed next to Clary's.

"Mr Herondale, myself and Miss Gray have figured that out so your help is not needed." Magnus commented.

"So you don't want to know what that rune's for and what it's currently doing?" Jace asked.

"I'm actually quite intrigued to know even if Magnus isn't." Tessa said.

"It's burning the heavenly fire out of her. When Jonathan and me were bound we had a conversation once about a rune Jonathan had been creating to helo with something he knew that me and Clary would need in the future. I never used it but Clary's using it to burn the heavenly fire out. That's what that rune's for." Jace answered.

"And how would you know that Mr Morgenstern hadn't been lying to you?" Magnus asked.

"Because I was bound to him." Jace said.

"Magnus, why would Jonathan give his own sister a rune that could kill her? I think Mr Herondale's theory is very logical." Tessa said.

"Well what do you suggest we do next Mr Herondale seeing as you're now the expert?" Magnus asked.

"We wait." Jace answered and for the first time ever Magnus did as he was told. They waited and waited and waited. They waited for a sign, for a light at the end of the tunnel, for anything....