Chapter 16

Hello everyone!! Happy holidays!! In light of the season, I've tried uploading an extra chapter for y'all!! Enjoy:)

•••••••••

Marinette started her afternoon in a mundane fashion.

By panicking and poking and prodding at her hair until she had the grand urge to cut it all off entirely.

Breathe, Marinette.

Breathing felt impossible when such big stakes were involved. She was supposed to be the picture of grace and ease.... But her hair was refusing to play it's part.

Mari decided to start over; she was pulling pony tails and trying not to make a bigger mess of things.

Her hair was now wilder and worse than ever.

Maybe I'll just go to the ball like this.

As fate would have it, Alya burst through the door with the most precious and perfect timing.

"Mari, just breathe! I've brought everything we need to get you ready for tonight!" Alya carried a box filled to the nines. It was truly everything one could ask for:

A curler, a straightener, three different styles of brushes, bags full of clips, hair decorations, makeup fit for a stylist, and on top sat Mari's favorite. A container of France's most fresh fruit.

Too bad Mari felt like she was going to puke her guts out.

"Alya..." Mari looked for the words to say. Alya knew just what to do in these situations; she had saved Mari on many an occasion.

If best friend awards were real, Alya would win every time.

Alya gave Mari the biggest hug. It hit Mari with surprise, as she realized how much she needed it. She hugged back with equal intensity and felt her wall of stress and worry subside, ever so slightly.

"It's going to be okay, Mari. Let's get you fixed up." She sat Mari down in front of the mirror and started to get to work.

She started by gently brushing Mari's knot of a hair out. Mari let out a breath and felt calmer already.

"I can't believe you got into this ball! It's so exclusive even Adrian Agreste couldn't get in." Alya continued to smooth out Mari's hair.

That was a relief. Mari had to play a part tonight. She had to... become someone else. It was better that she didn't have someone there like Adrian Agreste as a distraction.

Plus, he'd only be a liability. Another person in the crowd who's safety she'd have to worry about. And another face to haunt her conscience if things went poorly.

Yes, better for Adrian Agreste to be far away from the party, indeed.

"I guess I just got lucky the host fell in love with my family's macarons." Mari hated how easy the lie rolled off of her tongue.

"Well, either way you have to give me all of the details of the dance!" Alya finished a loose curl in Mari's hair, and she watched as the tangled mess slowly fell into a non-effortless-effortless look.

"All of the details?" She couldn't push away the wave of nausea that washed over her.

"Like who danced with whom and who had the best dress and best makeup... besides you, of course. Styled by yours truly." She pushed her hair back to draw more attention to the effect.

Outside, Paris life continued as always, with passerby hustling to get home before sunset. Little kids running and their parents chasing them. Paying attention to them gave Mari the slightest distraction from her reality.

It was one night. What was the worst that could happen?

Best not to go down that rabbit hole...

Alya adjusted one last curl to Mari's look and moved on towards makeup. The routine of it all, especially with her best friend, eased her nerves.

"Thank you for this, Alya. You don't know what this means to me. I don't know what I would've done without your help." Mari fiddled with her fingers while she spoke, this sudden truth felt a bit odd to speak aloud. Alya and Mari normally had an understanding of these things, and to speak them wasn't always necessary.

Alya picked up a different brush and lightly added some blush to Mari's cheeks; she was so focused on her task that Mari wondered if she had even heard her. 

It wasn't until Alya gave Mari the biggest smile that she knew she'd been heard.

"Of course Mari! I know you would do the same for me." Light bronzer work continued, outlining her cheekbones.

It was hard to sit still, with everything on Mari's mind.

"Almost finished." It's like Alya could read her mind.

With some final touches and last adjustments, Alya turned her are in her chair and marveled at her work.

"My best work yet! You look stunning, Mari." She dared to look in the mirror and struggled to keep her jaw from dropping.

She looked... like a different person. Which was perfect, because she would have to be someone else tonight. Someone with unwavering confidence, outstanding social skills, and...

Someone capable of deception.

Someone capable of many things, indeed.

She could do it, she realized. Play the part well, if it meant protecting everyone she loved.

There was only one thing left to do.

"Now, go put on the dress." Alya held the fabric in her hand.

Mari grabbed it and went into the bathroom. Now it was really time to transform.

The dress was black, which she realized would match Chat's wardrobe well. It would also help her blend into the crowd, if she needed to get away at a moments notice.

When the fabric moved, it had the essence of starlight. Playing tricks on the eyes and offering wonderful glimpses of light that changed ever so slightly with movement. It had a back that scooped dangerously low, but the front made its way towards and around her neck to offer safety in mobility. The dress was made with the perfect combination of distraction and practicality in mind.

And that wasn't even the best part.

Not seen by the eye were knives and blades under the dress, connected by a leg harness for convenience.

Just in case.

She wasn't sure what much good the weapons would be against the opponents she'd have tonight, but it was better than nothing.

Mari took a final deep breath added her final touch: a mask that perfectly matched her dress.

It felt much easier to be someone else with this thing on, which she supposed she was used to.

When she finally walked out of the bathroom, she heard Alya audibly gasp, which was quickly followed by a lot of squealing.

"It's wonderful, Mari. Absolutely wonderful."

Suddenly Mari was grateful for the mask and the makeup, as she flushed with the compliment coming from her best friend.

"Thank you, Alya. Truly." She did a mock curtsy; the motion felt so ridiculous she couldn't help but laugh.

"Alright, Mari. I'll be going but be sure to call me tomorrow and let me know how it went!"

She offered Mari one last hug (without ruining her makeup, of course) and was gone.

Suddenly alone, Mari went onto her Balcony and waited for a certain partner in crime to show.