-51-

quarantine

quarantine

"SO KAREN AND DAVID ARE DEAD. Why am I still alive?" Scarlett asked rhetorically, wiping at her nose with a tissue. She was talking to her cousin on the other side of the glass. Glenn and a few others had joined her, but she noticed the lack of Karen and David.

"Whoever did it couldn't unlock your cell is our best guess. Rick... Rick is just glad he locked you up last night," Maggie whispered. "How's Glenn?"

"Hasn't hit him full blast yet. Lucky," Scarlett grimaced as she coughed up only a little blood compared to her usual. "What happened at the fences? I heard Glenn muttering 'bout it."

"Rick slaughtered his pigs to get rid of the potential virus and walkers by the fence. Still don' know what caused this flu, and the walkers were tearing down the fence. We managed to draw them away... fix it slightly. Still have work to do," Maggie said. She noticed Scarlett staring at her fingernails. "Did you take all the medicine?"

"Dr. S did not intend for this many sick patients. Don' think it'll help me in the end. We're all gon' die in here," she grumbled.

Maggie gasped and let a tear fall. "How can you say that? Aren't you gettin' better?"

"Barely. Uncle Hershel's tea is workin' a miracle, le'me tell ya," Scarlett joked before sneezing. Feeling a wave of nausea hit her, she groaned. "Ain't no one else nearly as dizzy as I am. Shitty day."

Maggie sighed. "Rick's a mess," she murmured after some time.

"He's bein' a leader at least. He needed that push."

Scarlett put her hand on the glass, smiling at Maggie. "I'm sorry 'bout what I said. Was insensitive. We're gon' be all right."

"I know," Maggie said softly with a grin. She placed her hand on Scarlett's. "I miss your ugly face out here."

"Hell, if I do die, you can have it. Make it a souvenir."

"Scarlett!"

Both Greene's fell in a fit of giggles. Scarlett began to cough slightly as their laughs died out. Hershel stepped into the room, smiling at his girls.

"Come on, Scar. I need some help with the respirator. Don't want you too tired," Hershel said softly. He smiled at Maggie. "We'll be all right, Mags. Go help Rick keep things in order."

Maggie nodded as she stood up.

Scarlett weakly called her name, tapping the glass. Maggie turned to face her. "Ask Rick to come see me? I... I miss him."

Maggie nodded, smiling sadly before leaving.

Scarlett stood up, feeling another wave of nausea hit her. Hershel grabbed her hand to steady her as she felt the sick come up again.

"Two days of that sickness," Hershel commented. "Not like the others in here."

Scarlett shrugged, holding onto him as they walked into the cell block full of coughing patients. Hershel looked at Scarlett pointedly as they walked up the stairs to see Glenn and Sasha first.

"Scarlett, can I ask you something personal?"

"Sure," she grumbled, seeing Sasha's pale face coming to view first.

"When was your last cycle?"

Scarlett furrowed her brows, tilting her head, and thought what he was trying to get at. They kept walking and Scarlett's eyes widened as realization overtook her features. She stopped, looking at Hershel with those wide, scared, doe eyes. She gripped his arm tighter.

"You're not suggesting..." she whispered as Glenn used the wall to come closer to them. Hershel looked around as he thought he heard a groan from a walker before shaking his head and looking back at his niece. "Uncle—"

"If you're pregnant, you need extra rest to beat the sickness Scarlett," he said firmly as Glenn approached them with wide eyes from hearing the news.

"You're pregnant!?"

"SHH!" Scarlett grumbled out, hitting Glenn weakly. Glenn groaned in pain but the pair giggled a bit at the tense situation. "I'm not. Can't be. Nope."

"You 'nd Rick have sex, right?" Glenn asked through gritted teeth as a wave of pain went through him.

"Don't want to hear it!" Hershel muttered.

"It's possible," Glenn whispered.

"Not today it isn't," she grumbled back, moving to check on Sasha.

"You can't ignore it, Scarlett," Hershel called to her.

"Today I can!"

Hershel rolled his eyes as Glenn chuckled a bit before coughing horribly. More blood came out of his mouth, and it was a disgusting sight to see. There were two turns since the disease started. Hershel told them not to kill them in front of the others. Not to lose hope. Scarlett helped Glenn and Sasha load up people on a stretcher to kill their brain outside the cell block.

Scarlett wiped a bead of sweat from her eyes just as the door opened.

Carol stood there with a handkerchief wrapped around her face as she gently pushed a smaller body into the cell block.

Sophia.

Scarlett brought the small girl into a hug as she cried about not feeling good. Scarlett nodded at Carol, but Carol simply gulped and turned. She rushed away quickly. Scarlett found it odd, but she did not say a word against Carol as she brought Sophia to her cell to sleep in.

"Long night ahead. Get comfy," Scarlett told Sophia as the little girl coughed violently.

Hershel made his rounds, shutting cell doors just for idiot people to open them against the rules because they could not stand the thought of dying. Scarlett helped as best as she could. The coughing and sneezing and labored breaths became a symphony that neither Hershel nor Scarlett could sleep to. Hershel was glad the girl stayed up with him, eyes narrowed as she watched and waited for any signs of a walker.

Scarlett felt a wave of nausea hit. She shook her head, running a hand through her hair. She touched her stomach lightly.

"Impossible."