-52-

between a glass wall

SCARLETT FELT FINE, BUT SHE STAYED IN QUARANTINE TO HELP HERSHEL. Dr. S was not going to be any help as he locked himself away after making more IV's for the sick patients. He told them he was dead, but Hershel was trying to keep hopes alive. Dr. S then showed them his stash of guns in case bad went to worse.

Sighing, Scarlett ran a loving hand through Sophia's hair. Sophia coughed, her lungs almost giving out at the intensity of it. She whimpered as Scarlett tried to shush her.

"Am I goin' to die?"

"No, baby. Not today. Not by this," Scarlett promised. "Just stay in here. I'm gon' close the cell, mmkay?" Sophia nodded.

Scarlett walked past some cells, closing them despite the protest from some inside. She kept going, passing Dr. S with a sad look on her face seeing his pale body lying there.

Shaking her head, she kept walking, seeing Glenn using a respirator on a boy. Sasha was nearby looking even worse than normal. Scarlett thought she was lucky, but she did not feel too lucky feeling better while they felt worse.

"Go finish your book, Lizzie," Scarlett told the young girl as she tried to peak into where Hershel was. She saw the man bring another body away to kill before they came back and killed us. "Shut your cell when you get in. Ya hear me?"

"Yes ma'am," Lizzie murmured, walking to her cell. She coughed a bit on her way, but she was not too bad like the rest.

Scarlett managed to close all the cells, ignoring the opening on one without her consent. She decided not to pick a fight and go see if Hershel needed help.

He looked dreadful lately. He was tired, but he had yet to get the sickness. She called that a miracle.

When she got into the room, she saw Rick on the other side of the glass. Hershel and Rick had just finished talking when Scarlett walked in, and she gave Rick a small smile.

"Hey stranger," she whispered.

Hershel smiled softly, beginning to wheel the body out the back.

"Do you want my help?" she asked Hershel as Rick's eyes stayed on hers.

Hershel shook his head. "No. Talk to Rick."

When he left, Rick's shoulders deflated as if he was trying to look strong in front of the older man. Scarlett walked forward, placing her hand on the glass with a reassuring smile.

"It's gon' be okay, Rick. I'm right here."

"I had to send Carol away. Carl's pissed at me for quarantining him with the other kids. You're in there with so many potential risks. It's not okay, Scar," he murmured before placing his hand on hers over the glass.

"What happened with Carol?" she whispered with wide eyes.

"She killed Karen and David. Hell, she was about to kill you, Scarlett. All to stop the disease. All to end it before it got bad, but it was already spreadin'. The only reason she did not kill you was because she couldn't get in the locked cell. She figured you'd die and we'd burn the body anyways," he said with a dry laugh. "I had to do it, Scar. She couldn't stay here."

Scarlett felt her heart break at the sound of his voice. He was so broken for having to make the big decisions again.

She tried to ignore the fear of Carol being so close to killing her. She wondered if Carol could have gone through with it. Scarlett had been around for a while, and she had saved Sophia. Scarlett wanted to believe Carol could not have done it, but she would have done anything to protect the group. Gulping, Scarlett pushed Carol out of her mind.

"I wish I could hold you right now," she whispered. "You did what was best for the people. For our family. I'm proud of you. I know it wasn't easy."

His breaths were ragged as he shook his head. "I don' understand why we can't catch a break. Hershel still has faith. I can't."

"It's okay for him to believe in something. It keeps him going. I just think of you. Judith. Carl. Mags. All of y'all. Y'all keep me goin'. Y'all are my faith," she told him with a small smile.

He smiled back.

Coughing was heard and they both winced at the sound.

"Least I haven't coughed up blood in a day. Any word on Daryl?"

Their hands dropped as Rick ran it through his hair. "I hope they get back soon. I don' like you in there. Keep thinkin' the worst."

"Always were the pessimist, Grimes," she teased.

Rick smirked at her as he wrung his hands together. He looked nervous about something. She tilted her head as she wondered what was going through his mind.

"What is it?"

"Y'know how Glenn and Maggie got married last month?"

"Mhm," she hummed, furrowing her brows.

"You think that it was stupid?"

Scarlett shook her head, remembering how beautiful the small ceremony was. It was something that was perfect for the end of the world. She smiled. "It was beautiful. Peaceful. Exactly what we needed."

"Would you ever think about doing that? With me?"

Scarlett's smile fell into a shocked expression. "W-What are you askin' me, Grimes?"

"Exactly that. I want you to be Grimes. Want you to be mine officially where we can celebrate and be happy at the end of the world. Want to do it in front of everyone. Want to put a ring on your finger and kiss you after the vows. The whole stupid thing because... hell, it ain't stupid. It's something of normalcy. We deserve that happiness," Rick stammered out. "Now, this damn disease is another roadblock makin' me realize I want to do it before we die. I want us to be married, Scarlett. Because we will die. Don' know when. Could be today. Tomorrow. I don' want to think of it. I just want you."

Scarlett was shocked beyond belief. Her eyes dropped to her stomach where she felt another wave of nausea. Looking back up at Rick, she let a small smile grow on her face.

"You got a ring?"

Rick smirked, putting his hand in his pocket as he pulled out a ring. He bit his lip, walking over to the door and opening it slightly. He placed the ring on the floor and slid it in before shutting the door quickly. Scarlett laughing, bending down to pick the ring up.

"Never thought I'd be proposed to in a prison between a glass wall," she muttered, putting the ring on her finger. "Kinda like the way it fits. You think Scarlett Grimes sounds all right?"

"Sounds fuckin' perfect," Rick told her with a grin. "Now, get better. Soon as you can get out of there, I ain't ever lettin' you go."