Chapter 36: The Freezing Point

While the snow around the inn continued to pile up, the now birthday celebration inside the inn continued just as they would any other weekend night. The villagers laughed, sang, and danced as the music echoed through the halls, and yet one of them remained quiet, silently watching as he ate a meal at one of the tables alone. His eyes weren't on the fun in front of him, but the woman at the counter who kept everyone's joy high with her self-made food and drinks. While he wanted nothing more than to go talk to her properly— something he had been actively attempting for the past week— he chose to stay at his table and watch from afar, something that didn't really bother him as it had done before. His eyes remained on the beautiful woman until his name was heard over the dining hall's ruckus.

"Manny? Is that you sitting alone over here?"

Manny tore his gaze away from the clerk and up at two tall farmers walking from out of the crowd toward him.

"Medda... Nack..." he replied as the two farmers stopped at his table.

"What are ya doin' over here by yourself?" Nack asked as he adjusted his tall straw hat.

"Yeah, we didn't know you had come tonight," Medda added. "You haven't been here in weeks; not since your first time here now that I think about it."

"Ah, well... You know..." Manny mumbled, subconsciously glancing over toward the clerk. Both Nack and Medda looked over at where he was looking, in which the answer dawned on them.

"Still goin' after Prima, eh?" Nack asked, patting Manny on the back. "I'm proud of ya. After that first try, we thought you had given up."

"What made you come back?" Medda asked.

"I had a little bit of encouragement," Manny answered simply.

"Well, if that's the case, what are you doing over here?" Medda prodded, bending down to press his hands against the table. "Why not go try and talk to her again?"

"I mean, because she's working," Manny answered. "I wouldn't wanna mess up her flow."

"Sounds like you're bein' afraid again," Nack said, yet Manny shook his head.

"I'm not. I swear, I'm not!" he argued after he looked at the farmers' faces. "I'll have you know that I've been here helping out all week. I've had plenty of time to talk to her."

"And have ya?"

"Yes. Sorta..." Manny mumbled out.

"Was it small talk?" Medda asked. After a short pause, Manny nodded. "Well, hey, that's something. I'm honestly surprised someone like you actually came to help... and then actually helped."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Manny asked with a furrowed brow.

"It means you needa start helpin' out in the fields," Nack answered. "At least during this time of year. We could really use the help."

"Yeah, yeah," Manny groaned. "I know... Wait, isn't it winter? What do you need help with—"

"We still need to do our best to keep as much alive as we can, and make sure the fields stay healthy enough for the upcoming year," Nack explained. Manny blew air through his nostrils.

"Hey, we aren't asking that much from you," Medda laughed, pushing himself back up. "Anyway, if you helped out, then you knew it was Link's birthday today, didn't you?"

Manny simply grunted in response.

"It's good to see him out an' about," Nack said as he and Medda looked toward the table where the man in question sat. "Feels like we haven' seen him around a lot. He hasn' been travelin', has he?"