-55-

survive

survive

JUDITH'S SOBS TURNED INTO SOFT WHIMPERS AS THEY GOT DEEPER INTO THE WOODS. Scarlett tried her best to stay calm despite the worst odds they faced, but she was failing as tears ran down her face and mixed in with the blood from her father and herself. She began to weep louder as she suddenly stopped walking.

Daryl and Beth turned around quickly as they watched her fall to her knees.

"Come on, Scar. We gotta keep moving," Daryl grunted out, crouching in front of her. "C'mon."

Breathing deeply, she realized she couldn't breathe. Beth crouched down next and placed a hand on Scarlett's shoulder. "Hey, come on. We're all right. They are alive. We'll find them. Gotta be strong for Judy. We all got jobs to do."

Scarlett nodded, breathing in and out like Beth instructed her. They heard a snarl to their left. Daryl easily took it out with his bow. He turned back to them. "Let's go."

The night was scary with the baby making sounds every so often, but they managed to survive. Daryl made a fire while Beth changed Judith. Scarlett found a creek to wash the blood from her. She grabbed one of Judith's towels and wet it to wipe the blood from the baby. Judith was drinking some of her formula when Scarlett got back. She saw Daryl roasting some birds.

Taking back Judith, she stared at the baby happily drinking her formula.

Judith was all she had left of Rick. Of Carl. Of Lori.

Scarlett felt another tear fall, but she knew she should not cry anymore. Not in front of Beth.

The next morning, they were on the move again before the sun was even in the sky. Daryl was leading them to nowhere as they kept moving. Judith was hapily gurgling on some words as she teethed on her teething ring.

"We should do something," Beth said after a while to the hunter. Daryl ignored her. Scarlett kept bouncing Judith as she walked. "We should do something!" she said again. Daryl stopped to look at her. "We aren't the only survivors. We can't be. Rick, Michonne, they could be out here. Maggie and Glenn could've made it out of A block. They could have. You're a tracker. You can track."

Daryl glanced at Scarlett, shaking his head. "Come on. Sun will be up soon."

"If we head out now, we can—fine." Beth glared at Daryl. "If you won't track, I will."

"Beth!" Scarlett hissed out as her little cousin rushed away between some bushes. Daryl grumbled something under his breath before gesturing with his bow for Scarlett to go. They were going to follow Beth.

As they kept walking, Beth was acting like she knew what she was doing when it came to tracking. Scarlett kept a gun in her hand as Judith babbled nonsense. She was still strapped to Scarlett's body.

Beth gasped out in shock as she leaned down and picked up a shoe. It was a small shoe. "Could be Luke's or Molly's. Whoever they are, it means they're alive."