14

"Baby, hi. I missed you so much."I awkwardly smiled at my mom as I hugged her before I sat back down.

"Good morning."Doctor Brown politely greeted as she looked up at my mom who awkwardly sat at the chair next to her.

"Hi Jae."My mom awkwardly greeted as she gave Doctor Brown a short nod before she turned to face me and reach across the table for my hands but I looked down at her hand with an obvious frown on my face.

"Why did you not tell me?"I asked as I looked down at her hands before I looked up at her to see that her eyes were watering.

"I did not know how I would do it, sweetheart and I never had a reason to because raising you felt like I was raising my own daughter. Imani, I love you more than you would ever imagine."She explained as she reach out for my hands once again but this time I gave in and placed my hands on the table for her to hold.

"What about your sister, mom? You basically kidnapped her daughter?"I asked as I looked up at Doctor Brown who was staring at my mom in anger and shock.

"I knew she would hate me for not giving her access but I had to do what had to be done."she replied as she began to sob.

"That's selfish."I admitted as I shook my head at her in disbelief.

"It's realistic baby. Where do you live right now, Jae?"My mom asked which made me look up at her in shock before gasped and I aggressively pulled my hand away from her grasp.

"Mom--"

"That is none of your business, Diane. I make ends meet."Doctor Brown sneered as she looked at my mom in anger.

"Those ends would have not met my daughter's needs."My mom replied as she looked at Doctor Brown with a frown which made me push my chair back as I placed my money for what I had ordered on the table.

"I did not come here to watch you two argue. I came here for answers and if you won't give me that then I don't want to hear from either of you. Bye."I explained as I looked between the both of them and stored out of the restaurant ignoring their calls for me.

I requested a Lyft to take me back to campus and once I got there I made my way to my dorm building but I stopped in my tracks before I went to the KEK house instead, when I arrived at the KEK house I greeted everyone before I knocked on JR's door as soon as he responded I wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him tightly.

"Hey, what going on?"he asked as he hugged me back before he gently ran his hand up and down my back.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know who else to turn to really. Damon has his own problems and I don't want to be too much of a burden. You do too but I just didn't know who else to turn to, JR."I explained as he let me into his room and closed the door behind me.

"You don't need to explain yourself, Imani. Just tell me what's going on."he gently stated as he sat me down on the chair that was near his study desk and I updated him on everything that happened between my mom, doctor Brown and I.

"...So I saw them this morning at the restaurant and they just started arguing. It was really overwhelming so I left the restaurant."I explained as I looked down at my hands.

"I think it's a great thing you left the restaurant, you would not have got the answers you wanted to get from the both of them."JR explained as he sat opposite me.

"I just wish no one told me any of this to be honest."I admitted as I rolled my eyes before I looked up at the ceiling.

"You would have found out eventually, Mani. Maybe finding out now is easier than finding out when you are older. Right now you will have more answers than you would have had when you are older."JR explained as he placed his hand on my knee which made me look up at him.