Chapter 03

Valerie's POV
Charlie was on the phone with Renee arguing again. Bella was at Jake's house, and I was getting ready for the funeral.

I couldn't look in the mirror in fear of crying again 'I had a bad feeling when he was called away, I should've made him stay. I should've made him quit the army and become a deputy for Charlie. Why does he love the army so much?  Why did I have to fall in love with him? Why didn't I say something? It's my fault he's dead. If I had spoke my mind then he'd still be here' I thought guiltily.

I pulled my hair back into a bun and slipped on my shoes before grabbing my coat. I went downstairs and saw Charlie standing in the kitchen looking exhausted with a bottle of beer in his hand. He took a sip before noticing me and quickly throwing the bottle away. He forced a smile and asked "Ready to go kiddo?" Making me reluctantly nod. We walked out to my car and Charlie got in the driver's seat while I sat passenger side.

 We walked out to my car and Charlie got in the driver's seat while I sat passenger side

We drove to the church in peaceful silence. We didn't need nor want to talk and that was fine.

When we arrived, I was immediately bombarded by the townspeople with apologies, and the injustice of being widowed so young. I already wanted to go home. I was thankful that neither Stephanie or Bella showed up, I didn't have the energy to fight with them. Once everyone had settled down, we took our seats and Father John began the eulogy.

"Friends, family, and comrades I would like to start by thanking you all for coming on behalf of Zeke, and his wife Valerie. Unfortunately this was not the speech I had intended to say, at least not for a long time, I had hoped to give a lighthearted speech about love at Zeke and Valerie's formal wedding ceremony, but sadly this is the speech I will have to give today" he started "Zeke was always a good member of the community. He was always volunteering and helping out in any way he could, and he stayed out of trouble. Though I believe he did this mostly to impress a very special someone" he looked at me when he said that.

"Zeke was strong, kind, and above all he was a loyal and honest man. It pains me to see him go so young, but I know that our lord is welcoming him back home. Let us take comfort in knowing that he is in a better place now, and keep him alive in our memories, until we meet again" he finished.

It was then that Zeke's commander, Ryan, stood up with a few others from Zeke's team and walked over to the casket that was closed. They removed the flag from it and folded it before Commander Ryan approached me and presented it to me "I'm so sorry..." he whispered before walking back to the casket. He and the others then proceeded to carry it out to the cemetery.

We followed and I stared at the casket. I briefly wanted to see if it was really Zeke inside, 'Maybe it was a mistake and he's still out there...'

I placed a white and yellow rose bouquet on top of the casket before stepping back and watching as the casket was lowered into the ground. Father John approached me as I clutched the flag like a teddy bear while Charlie had his arm wrapped around me in support "Do you have anything to say?" He asked. I looked up at him and wet my lips before saying in a hushed voice "I just want him back. I just want my Zeke."

That's when I broke down Father John frowned and pulled me into a hug. Charlie rubbed my back while I sobbed into Father John's chest. After a few moments I managed to compose myself and pulled away, Father John patted my shoulder and Charlie pulled me close to him.

Charlie left my side and Leah replaced him. I didn't pay attention to what Charlie said about Zeke. I couldn't focus even if I tried. I was in zombie mode as I walked with the others to toss soil onto the coffin. I started walking back to the church with Charlie and Leah when a blonde haired boy about 18 years of age limped on his crutches in front of me.

"Sir,  ma'am's" he said bowing his head before looking straight me "I owe you an apology, ma'am, more than anyone else here" I frowned in confusion and asked "What are you talking about?" He swallowed and said "My name is Derrick Johnson. I was your husband's newest Cadet, and I was in the car when the the accident happened" I blinked "W-what?"

Before he could say anything Charlie stepped forward and attempted to block me from him "You don't need to hear this-" I gently pushed him aside and said "No-! Tell me what happened that day" Derrick hesitated "Ma'am I don't think-" "I remember Zeke mentioning you. He said that you reminded him of himself. A good and honest man. No one will tell me what happened, just that it was an 'accident'. I want to know what happened to my husband, please, just tell me the truth."

Derrick looked uncomfortable as he reluctantly said "We were called back early for a mission. We were headed to the base when the trucks got attacked. Someone threw a grenade at us. Zeke survived the first explosion, and went to help the survivors. I got trapped under a truck and he ran to my side, that's when the second grenade was thrown, he used himself as a human shield to protect me" Derrick then gestured to his left leg, or rather his missing leg "I lost my leg, and he lost his life. It's not fair, he died protecting me. I'm so sorry-!"

I shook my head and said "It's not your fault. Thank you for telling me...excuse me please" I then walked away with Leah following me Charlie stayed behind to talk to Derrick.

"Valerie? Valerie? Valerie?!" Leah called out as I rushed to the church bathroom. Unfortunately I only made it to the steps for I got sick all over them. Leah bolted to my side and another person did as well. I glanced up and saw Father John. They both patted my back as I raised from my hunched position. I covered my mouth and mumbled "I'm sorry, I'm sorry..."

Father John shook his head "I wish I could say that this was the first time that someone was sick on these steps. Go home and take care of yourself" Leah nodded and ushered me away. She led me to her truck and drove me home "Could we stop by the convenience store? I think I need to pick up some Pepto" Leah nodded and said "Sure" she pulled in to the closest CVS.

I walked in and went straight to the pharmacy. I skimmed through the aisle before grabbing saltines, a pack of ginger ale, and Pepto before my gaze landed on boxes of pregnancy tests. I frowned and checked my phone for the date.....

I'm 8 days late.

I felt nauseous again as I snatched up a box, and headed for the register. I purchased my items, earning a look from the nosy cashier, and left.

Leah drove me home, and after a few moments of arguing, she agreed to leave me alone. I made a beeline for the bathroom, ignoring an agitated Jacob in the living room and went to the bathroom. I was shaking as I drank a can of ginger ale and ran a bath. After two cans I felt ready to pee, I pulled out a test and urinated on it. I replaced the cap and got in the tub after setting a timer for fifteen minutes.

I quickly washed off and when I finished the timer went off and I climbed out. I dried off and got dressed before look at the test. My stomach churned and I walked out of the bathroom. I made my way to the living room where I could faintly hear Charlie's voice. I got there and saw him and Jacob talking "Charlie..." I called out making them both turn to look at me "Valerie? What's wrong?" Charlie asked.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

"I'm pregnant."