Chapter Thirty-Eight

Camila's POV

"So where exactly are you going tonight?" Dinah questioned me while running her fingers through the right side of my hair, the part that had been recently straightened.

"That new club on the other side of town," I hummed happily, leaning closer towards the mirror in order to apply my mascara on more precisely. "I forget what the name is. Maybe Lauren knows?"

Placing the cap back over the makeup tool for a moment, I reached forward to grasp my cell phone, but instead Dinah's hand quickly collapsed on top of mine.

"Why Lauren?" She asked with a raised eyebrow. "Isn't Austin bringing you tonight?"

"He has a meeting about some new building they want to build downtown," I confessed and retracted my hand away from the device.

"So you and Lauren are going on a date? Even though you're still married?" Dinah scoffed and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Look- it's, uh, not a date," I bit my bottom lip anxiously. "It's just a friend thing. Girls night out, you know? Like we usually do, Cheechee!"

"Well we don't usually end up having sex like you and Lauren will definitely have," she whistled the comment away and grabbed onto the nearby straightener.

"We will not!" I pouted and then found myself crossing my arms over my own chest. "We're just going out to have a good time, okay?"

"Whatever. So since your house will be empty," Dinah smoothed out a few strands of my hair. "Mind if I invite Mani and Ally over for our own girl's night?"

"Reality check, Dinah. Ally has a child and Normani seems to always be at work lately," I shrugged and looked down at my manicure that I had gotten done earlier that day for the special occasion.

"What if we already made plans to crash your house?" She hopefully replied.

I sighed and finally decided to agree, "Fine, but don't make too much of a mess or else Austin will kill me."

Dinah's eyes widened a bit at my word choice, but that facial expression flickered away after a few moments once she saw me notice. I shrugged the reaction off and went back to my past action of applying mascara on for one of the best nights of my life.

*

Lauren was twenty minutes late; and counting.

She was leaving me in a dreadful mood, anxiousness taking over my entire body. Dinah had assisted with picking out my outfit for the night, and we both had agreed on a tight black dress that I was wearing in the moment. The dress was a bit scandalous and short since it stopped in the middle of my thighs, but Dinah assured me that it was the appropriate fitting for the destination of the evening. Just thinking about what Lauren's curvy body was going to be in for the rest of our get-together made me even more nervous.

The sudden ring of the doorbell echoed throughout my apartment, making me practically launch myself at the entrance.

"Jesus, Laur. You were starting to real scare-" I halted my sentence and stared at the three girls standing in front of me. They were all dressed in pajamas and had different varieties of snacks in their hands.

"Sorry to rain on your parade, Mila, but we're not the girl of your dreams," Normani smirked and slid eagerly into my apartment, shaking a container of popcorn kernels with every step she took.

"She still isn't here, Chancho? How long has it been.. like, an hour?" Dinah frowned and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Twenty-two minutes and counting," I immediately responded and stepped to the side so the other two girls could enter.