Chapter 72 - Notebooks & love confessions.

8:30

The next morning Seven joined the other four at their small table in the kitchen. She rubbed her eyes and took a seat on the chair next to Sofia, pulling her knees up to her chest to try and ward off the cold that had settled in the safehouse. 

She spotted some candles over on the windowsill and lit them with her mind, no one else noticing as the flame appeared. She knew it probably wouldn't make much of a difference but she enjoyed the dim light.

The shield was hung on the wall, lopsided and dirty from the trek back to the safehouse, where they had used it to take turns sledding down a hill, even when there was no snow. Seven couldn't remember the last time she had laughed that hard. 

"So," Anya had taken her place at the head of the table, arms crossed and staring them down. "The SHEILD agent survived, I received intel this morning that he's barely hanging on, but still alive." 

This morning was all about business.

Seven sighed, she felt as if she had failed, even it wasn't her mission to eliminate the agent.

"However, the handoff was a success and wasn't intercepted. Therefore Dreykov has allowed us today to silently fix the mistake before he takes further action."

The widows reflected for a moment, they knew that if it had been any other team they would've been terminated already. 

"What's the plan then?" Sofia asked, nursing her cup of coffee.

"Seven and Yelena are going to go finish the job, they're the smallest and we can't all go."

Seven glanced at Yelena who paled. No one else seemed to notice. Seven took a sip from her own mug, the tea almost burning her tongue. She didn't mind the scorching heat and kept sipping.

"Plus, Seven has her powers if things get hairy." Anya added, "But it won't get hairy, right guys?" 

Seven and Yelena both nodded, "Will you guys be on comms?" The teenager asked,

"Yeah, you'll have earpieces in in case you need emergency extraction, but we can't access the cameras in the compound without them tracing the source. There are only a few major camera spots though, so as long as you avoid them, it should be alright."

Seven nodded, looking up at the clock. 8:34am. 

"When do we go?" 

"Tonight."

9:42

"What was she like at school?" The redhead questioned, looking up at the teenager.

Peter thought for a moment as they both stared down at the gravestone, he had just lay down flowers and his fingers were muddy from the ground. He picked the dirt from under his nails.

"She was smart but she hated going," He said, "She was always good at art, and sports, but she hated math, especially geometry."

Natasha smiled, she was enjoying the cup of tea in her flask as it slowly warmed her body.

"I remember her being awful at geometry." She recalled, pushing the gate for the boy as they moved away from the small cemetery. 

"That was because she wouldn't listen in the lesson." He rolled his eyes and laughed. 

The two had made a weekly routine of wandering out to her gravestone and laying some flowers. Sometimes they would talk about her, most times they wouldn't.