III

For the rest of the day, you keep Kunikuzushi company.

With every question that he throws at you, you answer with utmost honesty as best as you can. Though there are times when you can't help but soften the truth, not wanting to tell him just how harsh the history that you went through was.

It's not something that you want him to think about.

Such innocence... it makes you want to protect him.

"When will you go back to Liyue?" He asks one more question, his hands gently tracing the intricate design of your clothes. He seems quite affectionate, always staying close throughout the time that you spend with him.

Normally, you'd be uncomfortable, not used to another being's presence so close to you ever since you lost your family, only left with Alatus who was never much for affection and closeness like you. But with Kunikuzushi, you find yourself liking the small gestures. He may not have noticed it quite yet but you can feel a hint of electro being released from his fingertips. Perhaps the electro archon has bestowed upon him a share of her powers.

"Hm? Do you wish for me to leave now?" You muse, already knowing that he'd take it seriously and become flustered.

And much like your prediction, his smooth skin flushes pink once more, his head shaking from left to right to reject your question. "No, absolutely not! Don't be so mischievous, (Y/N). You're starting to sound like Yae Miko." By now, despite the little jab about the kitsune, you can't help but crack a smile at the sight of the boy in front of you, his cheeks puffed out just a little.

"Then why do you ask, Kunikuzushi?"

"I... I need to prepare myself."

Quirking your head to the side, you can't help but be confused. Prepare? Will he be sending you off? "Prepare yourself for what?"

Lowering his head, he uses the long sleeves of his yukata to cover his face even more. "I need to prepare myself for when you leave... You're my first friend and I don't want you to go just yet. The mere thought of you leaving already makes me feel quite complicated."

"Oh."

Looking down at your hands, you think to yourself.

You have never had anyone else besides the yakshas call you their friend before. It feels... nice. But at the same time, you can't exactly do anything about you leaving.

It is your duty as Morax's yaksha to protect the lands of Liyue. You have vowed to protect Liyue with all that you have and you can't do that if you're stuck in Inazuma, nor do you plan on staying in Inazuma for more than a week. It is simply illogical.

Though one look at Kunikuzushi, still hidden behind his sleeves, you can't help but want to make him feel better.

Gently, you place your hand on his, your hand wrapping around his as you guide his hand onto his lap to stop himself from covering up his face. With this, you notice how the corners of his eyes have now been tinged rose, much like the tip of his nose.

Taking a deep breath, you try your best to be as soothing as possible, though you doubt your rough hands would bring such a thing as you wipe away a stray tear from his cheek. "Once I go back to Liyue, it won't mean that you won't see me again, Kunikuzushi. There is no need to cry-"

"What if I don't see you again? I'm not allowed to leave Inazuma..."

Brushing his hair to the side, you fix your position so that instead of sitting next to him, you'll be kneeling on one knee in front of him. "Call out my name. I'll be beside you as soon as I can. If you're ever in danger or simply need my company, then I will appear before you."

A small smile makes its way to his face, the once gloomy feeling now being replaced with something warm. It makes you feel relieved, glad that you were able to remedy the situation.

"Do you promise?" Holding out his pinky finger, he looks at you with bated breath, scared that you may laugh at him asking for something so childish. But instead, you hold out your hand as well, pinky finger hooking on his as you nod your head.

"I promise."

Gently, as you separate your hand from his, you open up your palm, a small glaze lily appearing. His mouth gapes a bit at the pretty flower, delicate fingers taking a hold of the flower as he admires it. You watch him smell it a bit, smiling to himself as he places it by the fold of his yukata, keeping the flower upright. It perfectly blends in with his outfit. Once he's done admiring the outfit, he looks back up at you, the smile still present on his face which only makes him look even more beautiful.

So, without any hesitation, you decide to let him know.

"You're beautiful, Kunikuzushi."

Maybe you should've stopped yourself from saying such a thing. Knowing how the boy in front of you would react, you don't think he'll be able to survive if you continue being so honest. The sight of his blushing face only cements his beauty into your thoughts. Such a darling boy.

Your initial thoughts on him were right.

If he wanted to, he could be considered a God just from his looks. But his personality as well. So much kindness... though you're afraid that such kindness will be taken for granted and it will end up with him being hurt...

Such a world full of cruelty, it doesn't guarantee any protection for those naive enough to hold out such kindness to the people around him. Offering his hand to those that seek him out, you're afraid that the next hand he'll reach out for will only cut him up and leave him wounded.

But that is why you promised to appear before him, didn't you?

It's to protect Kunikuzushi.

Protect him from the horrors of reality.

Protect his ideals, his dreams. To help him grow stronger.

You will be his friend for however long he'll let you.

That you can promise to yourself.

No one else will have to know about how fond you are of the electro archon's son.

You will merely hold him within arm's length, close enough for you to protect him, but far enough so that he won't be caught up with your own karmic debt.

It is what Alatus and the other yakshas have always done. And now, it is your turn.

"Don't be ridiculous, (Y/N). There is no need for such compliments." Again, with his sleeves covering the lower portion of his face, Kunikuzushi stands up from the steps of the stairs, his back turned to you as he gestures towards the city below the shrine. "Come... I want to show the stands that I like... I want you to try out the many dishes that they serve... you must be pretty hungry anyways, we can share some of the snacks too!"

Though he tries his best to push your compliment into the back of his mind, his body still fails to help him, he can practically feel just how warm his face has gotten.

Seriously, you were so serious but at the same time, you're almost as mischievous as Yae Miko... It baffles him.

Humming as a response, you spare one last glance towards the direction of the archons before following after the delicate boy before you, not having the heart to tell him that you have not felt hunger in a hundred years...

Anything to make him happy, you think to yourself.

You don't think you'll ever want to see the day that the smile on his face does not appear any longer.

"I assume that the boy is the reason for why you requested for (Y/N)'s presence?"

A sly smirk makes its way to the kitsune's lips, watching with the archons as you follow along to the boy's whims. "I had a feeling that they'd get along well."