80 - part one

8.15PM — Friday, June 3rd.

Killian never allowed anyone or anything to disrupt his studies.

He made sure of it with his clear set of rules that he abided to without a fault, those same rules that happened to be typed up, laminated and stuck to the front of the kitchen fridge with an I LOVE NYC magnet holding it in prime position.

The delicately written words could be deemed as simplistic really. The first five were written more for the purpose of his siblings, rather than Killian himself. Number one was, as anyone would have assumed, no interruptions. Easy enough... right? Number two, similar in meaning; no entering the study room, also known as the family dinning room, between the hours eight pm and ten pm, and so on.

Number five was where Killian's rules started for himself. All of his books, with the exception of the ones he used for school, had to be out of eye sight and out of reach. He knew, without a doubt, he'd become distracted by them, meaning his study sessions could not be based in the comforting surroundings of his library-like bedroom.

That's how he found himself in his usual Friday night position; sitting in the chair at the head of their family dinning table, that could sit at least fifteen people at a time. Boy, Killian felt like the king of all kings. For the next two hours, this was his peaceful place, his kingdom.

It was perfect, really.

There was nothing that could be deemed as a distraction.

He had no books, no television and thankfully, no annoying twin brother screaming in his ear every three seconds. Killian didn't have enough fingers to count the amount of times his twin's ridiculous shouts interrupted his studies. Anytime Kade lost a game of FIFA on his PlayStation, Killian lost an eardrum.

Sucks to share a bedroom, that's a fact.

Glancing around the silent dinning room with a content smile, Killian couldn't think of a better word to describe it other than bliss.

Pure and utter bliss.

That was until Zac's cough echoed through the walls. Again. And again. And again.

Shuffling against the cushioned seat of his chair, Killian attempted to ignore his eldest brother, who had been down with the flu for the last three days. Shifting his blue eyes to his calculus work sheet, he focused his attention to the black ink neatly typed across the white A4 sheet.

Ignore him, ignore it all.

Just when Killian got into his "zone" as he called it, the dinning room door opened with an echoing thump and his shoulders sagged in defeat.

Of course, he thought to himself.

"Seriously?" Killian gritted out, lifting his sharp blue eyes to the unknown intruder. He assumed it would be Kade, because it usually is. But when his eyes landed on his sister, they fell just as quick as they lifted.

"Lil, you know the rules." He sighed, running a hand down his tired face before lifting his pointer finger, directing it behind his sister towards the kitchen fridge. "They're literally printed right behind you."

He wanted to point out that he didn't go through the vast effort of picking the most readable font, and spend an ample amount of his time fighting with the laminator to actually laminate the freaking sheet, just for his efforts to be in vain. But by the way his sisters jaw tightened and eyebrows pulled together, he thought it would be for the best to keep those facts to himself.