Chapter 55

Madelaina:

We continue to stand there for a while. Just talking with each other and enjoying our own company.

Madden had finished his race and it was actually quite intimidating the way he walked through the crowd that had gone to congratulate him. He didn't look accomplished or exhilarated. More like slightly arrogant and expectant of the outcome.

He went straight up to the platform but Angel didn't take that as an obstacle to yell his colourful congratulations across to him.

Althea covers her mouth with her hand and yawns, drawing the attention of him.

"Are you tired?" He asks her. "Do you want to leave?"

She nods and sets down her drink.

"Alright." He takes her hand and twines their fingers, placing a kiss to them while he throws his own away. "Let's get out of here."

He says goodbye to Lucas and Thea squeezes my hand. "I'll talk to you tomorrow."

I squeeze back and then watch as they go.

"Do you want to?" Lucas asks as he pulls me closer.

"Leave?"

"Mhm."

"You don't want to stay and see your friends?"

"I want to do whatever you want to do."

I look up at him through my lashes. "Are you sure?"

We came all this way and we've only been here for a few hours. It's long enough for me but I don't want to drag him away.

Answering with his actions instead, he starts to guide us towards where his car is parked.

"Did you enjoy yourself?"

"I was a little nervous at first," I admit. "But it wasn't bad. Your friends are nice."

He lets out a scoff. "Don't lie for them. They're idiots."

"They're not that bad. They're funny."

"Oh? Are they funnier than me?"

"Who said that you're funny at all?"

"You." He nudges me with our interlocked hands.

Oh, yes. I did, didn't I?

"Well, I lied."

"Sure you did, Principessa. We both know I am."

"Do you think it was okay?" I change the subject. "Bringing me here?"

"Of course it was." He furrows his brows. "Why wouldn't it be."

I shrugged.

"Well, it is completely fine. And if anyone has a problem with it, they can come to me and I'll set them fucking straight."

I purses my lips and wait for a moment before asking, "Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why did you bring me here? They were all surprised to see you with me. With someone. I know you used to be with a lot of girls before but it wasn't just them who were shocked to see you brought me here. You didn't ever bring anyone else?"

"No one else mattered to me."

My heart starts to flutter but I try and rein in the feeling before I get my hopes up.

"Huh?"

"I didn't care about any of the other girls. This place is important to me. I wouldn't just bring anyone here."