Part 2

"Mom? What is going on? Why is he sending his driver to pick me up right after school?" I ask her the moment I see her in the kitchen.

I could not hide the shock evident on my face and in my voice as everything felt like a dream. Nothing felt real about this day no matter how I try to put the pieces together. She sighs deeply, not even sparing me a glance, and I know something is going on.

"I'm sorry. It happened so fast. He came by and told me that it was time for you two to meet. I didn't expect it to be today, on your birthday, but maybe in a couple of weeks," she tells me as she finally turns around, her eyes void of any emotion but sadness, and hands me a beautiful strapless dress of the color lagoon that stops a little above the knee. The dress felt like a fairy dress with the silk of the fabric illuminating the dress and making it glow under the light. There were also a pair of silver shoes attached with the dress!

"It's beautiful, Mom!" I tell her with astonishment as I admire the dress. I never expected to put on such a beautiful dress in my whole life. Moreover, I felt too self-conscious about wearing something too beautiful.

I clutched the fabric of the dress as I bite my lower lip with nervousness. But I can't do this, I thought. It's just not me no matter how beautiful this dress would look. Plus, I have homework to do! Ms. Daniels would chastise me for not completing her work on time.

"I'm sorry, mom, but I can't go," I whisper to her as I hand back the dress. She looks at me straight in the eye and I was completely expecting that bold eye contact. I knew that she loves my father too much, their souls being separated briefly through death, and that love was what was sustaining her right now because she would have killed herself a long time ago, even if it meant leaving me an orphan for the rest of my life. But she knew I was my father's little girl and that she shouldn't blame me for my father's death. I knew that the minute I said no she would make me go either way. Only because of father. Only because of him. I did not matter in the slightest as long as his promise needed to be fulfilled.

However, I could not blame my mother and I could neither be angry or upset with her for the way she treats me. Life is too short to hold onto those grudges and I would rather be grateful to be alive and have a mother in my life. Grateful that the grim reaper has not taken her away from me just yet.

"You have to do this, Angel. You have no choice, even I have to force you. Please, do it for your father," she chokes through the last words. I hesitate to give her a hug and console her at first, but do it before I change my mind. Through these difficult times, family has to stick together no matter what. She hesitates for a moment before hugging me back as we embrace and console our wounded souls for the loss of the third.

What can I really do? I weighed my options and decided to go along with it. I convinced myself that I was doing it for my parents, not for me. A sacrifice needed to be made. I just hoped it was a good one.

"Alright, mom," I decide, reluctantly. She hugs me tightly as if thanking me for understanding and then lets me go. I headed upstairs and into my room to get ready for the "dinner" with my fiance. What else could I do but face reality?

My father wasn't the type to plan something without telling me. There is something weird about this whole situation. Why would my father do a thing as to arrange a marriage with a man I don't even know? We were inseparable and never once did he mention doing such a thing. And why is my mother being insistent that I should go and meet him. Something is not right and I know it. I just wish someone could tell me the truth.

"Angel! The driver is here to pick you up!" my mom calls as I was finishing the last touches to my makeup.

"Coming!" I call out. I hurry and look at the mirror one last time before walking down the stairs and into the living room where Joe was waiting for me. I give him a shaky smile, feeling nervous and unsure about everything.

"Hello, Miss Angel," he greets me giving a slight bow towards me. My face felt flushed at the way Joe addresses me given I am not used to such formalities. I have never in my life heard someone address me the way Joe addressed me just now.

I smile at him, a little more confidently then before. "Hello again, Joe." I turn to my mother to tell her goodbye when I notice that she's close to tears, an indescribable emotion in her eyes. I was confused. Why would she cry when I am just going to meet my fiance?

"Mom?" I asked uncertain, the worry evident in my voice. She looks at me and gives me a small smile. I'm taken aback by her reaction. That small smile is the first thing I've been able to get out of her in a while.

"Don't worry about me," she whispers, "go and have fun tonight." I watch her closely, but I knew that it's not good to pry her with questions especially when she avoids them most of the time. She never answered my questions when I was small. I never understood why. I take a deep breath and smile at Joe who had been waiting patiently for the two of us to exchange our goodbyes.

"Shall we go?" I ask Joe as I made sure that my dress looked alright. I thought the dress wouldn't fit me perfectly, but for some reason, It did. I didn't even have to make any small alterations to the dress. I thought it was very unusual. How do they know my measurements?

Joe leads the way outside before I am stopped by my blue heeler, Archie who whined at my feet knowing that something was wrong. I smiled at him and pet his head. He gave me his dog smile and wagged his tail gently.

"I'm sorry, Archie, but I won't be able to play with you today," I told him as if he could actually understand me. He whined one more time, giving my hand a lick and I shook my head. I pet him one more time before I walked past him and into the sidewalk. Joe had the door open of the car so I got in and told him thanks. Joe smiled and closed the door slowly before getting on the driver's seat and driving towards my fiance's house.

I took a deep breath, feeling nervous. Here goes nothing!, I yelled in my head. I hoped everything would go alright.

Hi and sorry!! I haven't been able to update in days!!! It's just that I had a test and other things to worry about! I hope you like this part of the story and are wondering who her fiance is and how will he act towards her. Also, I'm sorry that it's short but the next part will be longer. :D Happy reading everyone and I really don't know when I'll be able to update! Pleae leave comments if I need to change anything. Thanks!