CHAPTER 20

THE PAST

"Sarah, your grandfather wants to talk to you," her mother informed her.

"Can't it wait, mom? I'm late for college."

"I'm afraid not. He was asking for you last night, and now he is impatient. And you know very well how he acts when he is like this."

Sarah exhaled, she loved her grandfather, but sometimes he too pushy.

"Fine. Let's go."

Sarah grabbed her books and walked with her mother.

As they sat in the chairs opposite to her grandfather, Sarah could feel that something was about to happen.

"Sarah, you are the pride of the family. And we all love you so much," her grandfather said. Sarah straightened in her chair. She could predict that her grandfather wanted something from her.

"I love you too. But what is it that you want?" She narrowed her eyes at him.

Her grandfather — a seventy-five year old man — sighed. "Sarah, you're mature now, and a proposal has come for you."

Sarah stilled. It felt as if the earth beneath her feet shifted. This was not happening. Was it?

She couldn't believe.

"Grandpa... this is... I don't." She couldn't finish her sentence. She was too stunned to complete her thoughts.

"Sarah, we're not going to force you. It'll be your choice. If there is someone in your life, you can tell us. But if that is not the case, I insist that you consider this proposal. Singhania family is one of the most respectful families in the society. They have hotel chains all over the Asia. Their son, Vardhan, is good man. He has taken the business to new heights. His family is looking for a bride. They have asked about you."

Sarah could barely process what her grandfather had just said. She clutched her books so tightly. This was absurd. She had her whole life ahead. How could her grandfather expect that she'd sacrifice everything? She missed her father at the moment. He was her supporter. But he was away on a business trip.

"Does dad know?" she barely managed the question.

"Yes, he does. I talked with him yesterday." His grandfather said.

"And he is okay with all this?"

"He doesn't have problem. His only condition is that it'll be your choice.."

"Ma... did you know this?" she turned to her mother.

"Yes, I did. I wanted to tell you, my dear. But..."

"Unbelievable. You'll went behind my back. How could you even think like this? I just turned twenty-one, and you already have a groom for me."

"It's not like we are asking you to marry him tomorrow. It is just a proposal which will turn into a sure thing if you say agree. Also, even if you agree, the wedding will not happen for next two years. You'll complete your graduation by then."

"Then why the rush?" she exasperated.

"Because good proposals like this come rarely. And we know that our daughter deserves the best."

"And what if I want to work and build a career? After marriage, I'll not get the opportunity. I have seen many girls giving up on her dreams, and I'll not follow that path.

"No one is asking you to sacrifice your career, Sarah. They have a big business. You can either work with them or work in our company."

"Wow!" she scoffed. "What if I want to build something on my own?"

"You can do that as well. Your in-laws and we will support you," her grandfather said.

"Oh God! This is getting worse."

Sarah couldn't believe her family. She was annoyed. She knew if she stayed any longer, they would get into argument. That will ruin the piece of the house. So, she grabbed her books and left for the college.

The whole day she couldn't focus on studies. Her professors and friends noticed this. When they asked, she didn't say a thing. She was fuming inside, and she was already mad at her potential groom.

She wanted to smash his face. Why couldn't people stay out of others' lives? She wanted to find the person who approached her family with this proposal, and lock him in a cellar.

Shit! Her thoughts were turning dark. She wasn't a violent person. But the present predicament was altering her personality.

The dinner was quiet affair, and Sarah thanked her lucky stars that her family kept mum about the marriage topic. She wanted to eat in peace since she hadn't eaten the whole day.

She got up to go to her room.

"Sarah?" she stopped and turned around to face her grandfather.

"Yes, pa?"

"Here. Take this." He extended an envelop in her direction.

"What is it?" she eyes the envelop suspiciously as if it was a venomous snake.

"It's Vardhan's photo, and his contact number. Have a look and take your time."

Sarah didn't move. She didn't want to touch the envelop and make it more real. But her grandfather wasn't going to back down ether. She knew his body was frail, and hovering his arm in the air was physically demanding. She loved her grandpa...

With a heavy heart she took the envelop. It felt like a death sentence.

Without a word, she left.

Once in her room, Sarah threw the envelop on the ground. She wanted to throw it in the dustbin but couldn't.

She laid in the bed and stared at the ceiling. She had found the cream color soothing, but today it wasn't having its usual effect. It made her imagine a colorless future. The times had changed, but still some things were the same.

She wasn't against the arranged marriages. It was just that she never pictured herself having one. She had always dreamed of falling in love with the most amazing man, who would make her laugh. Who would care for her. A man who would be her friend.

There was still a relief that she wasn't forced to say 'yes." She had made her decision that she'd say 'no' to this proposal.

She'd not tie a knot this young. She'd fulfill her dreams. She'd have a career, and then meet a man of her dreams.

Sarah decided that she'd tell her family this. She glared one last time at the envelop before closing her eyes.