《 after stellarlune 》

Stellarlune spoilers ahead!

• • •

"Foster?" a familiar voice said, prompting Sophie's head up from where it rested on her knees in despair. When she met a pair of ice blue eyes, he asked, "What's wrong? And don't say you're fine, because even though I still can't feel your emotions, I know what this —" his thumb smoothed her creased eyebrows " — means."

Tucking her legs below her, Sophie sighed. "I'm glad you can't feel my emotions. They might kill you."

"Pretty bad, huh?" Keefe settled beside her at the base of Calla's Panakes tree. Obviously, he was fighting the opportunity to call her a Drama Queen — or tease her about her newfound leadership skills.

She appreciated the silence, although a joke probably would have helped too.

When Keefe took her hand, butterflies began besieging her chest. That was, until she realized Keefe was probably only seeking her emotions and not an opportunity to hold her hand.

"Was that . . . disappointment?" Keefe closed his eyes.

"Sorry," she mumbled. "I just didn't realize you were only holding my hand to read my emotions."

A smirk twitched on his lips. "I wasn't."

"Huh?"

"I wanted to hold your hand, Foster. I don't need to be an empath to know you're worried and scared — that's super obvious."

Sophie tried not to blush but failed in despair. As her cheeks reddened further, Keefe grinned.

"You're so cute. I missed you while I was in the forbidden cities."

"Really?"

"You need to have more faith in yourself, Foster. Of course I missed you." His hand rested atop hers now, his thumb gently stroking hers.

Although it was sad, Sophie smiled. "I missed you too."

"I know."

"You felt it?"

Smiling, Keefe shook his head. "I didn't have to."

Her heart swelled. When Keefe took her other hand and pressed a sweet kiss against her forehead, he said, "I'm making you happy, aren't I?"

Sophie smiled. "You've always made me happy."

"This is a different kind of happiness." Smirking, he waggled his eyebrows at her. "Maybe because we kissed?"

"That might have something to do with it," Sophie admitted, blushing.

"Too bad Ro isn't here," Keefe laughed. "She'd never let this go."

Sophie's smile began to fade. "That reminds me . . ."

Keefe grabbed her hands before she could jump to her feet and pace. "Oh no — don't start worrying about her too."

"She should've been back by now!"

"Relax, Foster." Keefe laced their fingers together. "I know Ro — she's perfectly capable of handling herself."

"Perfectly capable of getting killed, too," she muttered.

When Sophie struggled to her feet, Keefe followed her, brushing the loose grass off his pants. Thankfully, he'd started wearing Elvin clothing again — and she had to admit he looked really good in it.

Especially since his ice blue tunic perfectly matched his eyes.

"How about a distraction?" Keefe offered, hot on her heels as Sophie began down the hill Calla's tree was mounted on.

"What kind?"

His voice was a lot closer when he said, "The best kind."

Sophie peeked over his shoulder and nearly bumped her lips against his, which she wouldn't have minded.

But this was all so new. They'd kissed twice in the grove, but it had already been a few days since. And even though they didn't have much time for kissing, Sophie had been wanting another one.

Another few, actually.

He teased her about the kiss often, and he was definitely more affectionate towards her.

But nothing else.

"You're being vague," Sophie told him as he took her hand and led her along a row of enclosures.

"Just keeping you on your toes."

Sighing, Sophie followed the blond boy through Havenfield's meadows. When they'd walked for a couple minutes, Sophie started to speculate where he was taking her.

To visit Silveny?

Or maybe Wynn and Luna were wandering somewhere around here . . .

Sophie's guesses took a turn, however, when Keefe led her towards the forestry. As he parted a veil of ivy for Sophie, she said, "Where are you taking me?"

"Your favorite place." He smirked, resting his arm around her waist as he guided her around a few sparse tree roots. "Or at least, I hope it is."

"Calla's tree might top it," Sophie teased.

"I'm wounded."

She smiled, a smile tickling her throat. They walked for a couple minutes more, Keefe ensuring Sophie wouldn't fall on her face. When they reached the grove where they'd shared their first kiss, he let her go first, holding vines aside for her clearance.

When he followed, Sophie was busy admiring everything as she had her first time. Her back was turned for a minute, reason behind why she jumped when he wrapped his arms around her waist.

At her stiffening, he whispered, "Is this okay?"

She nodded. "Sorry. You just scared me."

"Would this scare you too?" He gently turned her until their bodies were barely an inch apart. Their lips were even closer.

Sophie couldn't help her smile. "Not anymore."

"Good." Keefe lowered his lips to hers.

As they shared the kiss Sophie had been longing for, Keefe's eyebrows drew together, although not in concentration. As if he concentrating super hard to remember every detail of this moment.

The best part of kissing him was that it wasn't scary. Her almost-kisses with Fitz had nearly paralyzed her.

"Do we always have to kiss here?" she asked as they pulled an inch back.

Keefe laughed. "No. This is just one of the few places we both have fond memories."

"That's true." Sophie rested her forehead against his. "Was this the distraction you had in mind?"

"Yeah. It worked, didn't it?"

She smiled as their lips touched again, gentle. "Definitely."