Chapter 8: The Long Ride Home

Normally, Viridian didn't get bored easily; she always had something to do. But this plane ride was something else. The first couple of hours Viridian spent sleeping and listening to music. Ian had gone to sleep almost immediately after the plane had risen into the air. Viridian on the other hand had gotten enough sleep and was looking for other things to do. She wished that she could have brought her instrument along with her but there was no room for it and there was no way she could have played it on the plane. She just needed something to do and Phoenix wasn't helping either.

For the next couple of hours, Viridian tried to watch TV. She had never watched TV before, just listened to it and all of the bright colors had her entranced for several hours. She didn't know how people fell asleep watching these shows; they were so enthralling and exciting. She couldn't sleep if she wanted to. She ended up watching a show about Vampires of all things. It seemed that the people they chose to play these vampires were all just pretty boys. None of them were as striking as Ian was. She wondered if all vampires were like this or if it was a culture thing. Did vampires look different in different parts?

So many more questions were coming to Viridian and she needed to either write them down or ask them. She looked over at Ian who was sleeping like a rock. The stewardess had already come by and asked twice if she or him needed anything but he hadn't been woken either times. She nudged him softly and he shifted before turning his head and going back to sleep. She nudged him again, harder, and waited for him to acknowledge her.

Without opening his eyes, he asked, "Yes sweetie? Is something wrong?" His voice was low and guttural and she wondered is he always sounded like this when he was half asleep because it was crazy sexy.

"I just have a question for you. Also I'm bored and I need your company. I'm sorry I know you stayed up late last night but I'm so bored." Viridian whined softly.

Ian laughed, "Ask your questions my dear." Ian lowered his arms from behind his head and grasped his own fingers in his lap.

"Why do your eyes glow? And why don't people notice it? Do mine glow?"

"Glowing eyes is a part of the curse love. They glow when you're feeling emotional or when you're hungry. Or when you're hunting." Ian answered. He reached for her sunglasses and pulled them away from her face. He looked into her glowing brown eyes and smiled at her. "Someone is hungry."

She pulled her face from his hands and replaced her glasses. She didn't like being hungry and she wished there was a way to hold it off. "I don't feel the burn."

"That may be true, but you're eyes say something different." Ian leaned over into the aisle and caught the eye of one of the stewardesses. He winked and she instantly nodded her head before turning and reaching for something. Seconds later she handed him two juice boxes.

Viridian looked at him strangely while she took the juice box he handed her. "Juice? You tell me I'm hungry and you give me juice?" she didn't understand what was happening or how this was going to help her.

"It's not juice. Drink it."

It was quite comical actually watching Ian pull the straw out and poke it through the whole before sucking down the deep red liquid. "It's good I promise. Heated to a toasty 98.6." Ian winked at her before finishing the rest of his box.

She giggled before tasting hers and feeling the burn lessen at the back of her throat. "So how did you spring this?"

"Well," Ian reached a hand up to smooth her hair away from her face. "I fly this airline a lot. Pretty much any time I fly alone. I know most of the stewardesses that work for this airline and I've become friends with them. Some of them know what I am and on long flights like this they always pack me something special. Although I'm not sure if it's for me or the safety of their passengers." Ian laughed. He distinctly remembered one flight when he just couldn't wait till he got home. He remembered taking the blonde in the bathroom. He'd also joined the mile high club that evening as well but he wasn't going to mention that part to Viridian though.