Chapter Thirty Seven

Harper

We've been home a couple of days now, and things have still been tense with Enzo. I've spoken to my grandfather every day on the phone,  I expect him to get fed up with my phone calls, but he doesn't.

After I told him what my mother had said, we decided that it was best we put her in a program for abused women. That way, she can get the help she needs.

I know my grandfather feels this is all his fault, and truth be told, it is. As horrible as that is, if he had paid more attention to her growing up, he would have seen what had gone off around him.

I didn't tell him that as he has enough to worry about with the cancer taking over his body. He doesn't need to live in the past worrying about what he could change.

Hugo has already killed eleven of the men that hurt my mother. When I walked into Matteo's office, Matteo was watching the footage of the killings. I could have been sick at the sight, but the look on Matteo's face he looked like a proud father.

Chills still run up my back at the sound of the screams, but they deserve it.

"What are you thinking about? You have a funny look on your face." Matteo says as I undress Gabriel for his bath.

"Just the men that Hugo killed. I think he's going to change a lot in this world for the better with him in charge." I smile at Gabriel as I watch him play with bubbles.

"He is. He may be young, but he has a lot of potential, and with the right training, he is going to be a great leader." I smile at his words.

"Why don't you meet me in bed? I've got this covered. I'll be in soon. I'll put him in bed, and then I can have some daddy time." I wink at him, making him groan.

"You're on. Don't be too long." Fat chance of that when Gabriel is obsessed with baths.

Matteo

Bianca runs into my room, and I instantly sit up, grabbing my gun.

"Matteo, it's Enzo and your father. They're fighting. I don't know how it happened. I've tried to break it up, but Enzo won't get off him. He's going to kill him. You need to come quick." I pull on my jeans before rushing after her; the sight in front of me shocks me. I've never seen Enzo look so fucking broken before.

"This is your fucking fault. Everything is your fault." He throws another punch at our father; I expect our dad to hit him back, but he doesn't. He lets him take all the anger he is feeling out on him, which is something I never thought would happen knowing my father.

"Fucking hit me back. Come on, hit me." Enzo spits out. I should step in, but I don't. Enzo needs this. He needs to get the pain out.

"I won't hit you, son. I'm sorry I hurt your mother all those years ago; I am. I truly am, but it doesn't change the fact that she tried to harm Harper and your unborn niece or nephew. She killed the love of my life, and as much as I loved her for giving me you two, I won't ever forgive her for killing Alessia. So do what you have to; I won't hit you back." Enzo's face turns to pure rage as he pulls a gun out and points it at our father.

I step in, dragging him back. "Don't you fucking dare. You knew the consequences of what would happen to her for what she did. Our mother planned this from the beginning soon as she realised who Harper was. Our mother was messed up. What our father did was wrong, but love fucks people up. Drop the gun and sleep off the fucking whisky."