Chapter 9

"It is late, go back to your hotel." she was adamant.

"June open the door we need to discuss things." Dmitri prodded.

"It is late, I have to work tomorrow if you need to discuss anything, call during normal office hours." with that she ended the call.

Soon after, she heard her doorbell in conjunction with loud pounding on her front door. The guy was not going to give up. She lived in a quiet apartment building and loud noises were never heard so late. Dmitri was not letting up. She trudged down her short flight of stairs and flew open the door. He stumbled forward, she wanted to throttle him. He was still dressed in his tux but his bow tie was loose and he had a long black coat over it. He righted himself and walked in. He removed his coat placed it on the back of her sofa and stood there waiting for her to close the door. She did but very slowly.

"Say it quickly so that you can leave." she stood by the closed door defiantly with her arms folded in front of her.

"I will not stand insolence from you." he spoke with a look of determination on his face.

She raised her eyebrows uninterestedly.

"Have you slept with Thompson?" he asked pointedly.

"That is none of your business." she replied, she walked up the three steps to the kitchen area and put on the kettle. He was right behind her, she mistakenly turned around ill judging how near he was. He now put an arm on either side of her, pinning her to the counter.

"I asked you a question now answer me!" Dmitri insisted looking down at her intensely.

"We said goodbye, I never thought I would see you again." She reminded him.

"June, it was never goodbye for me, I knew I wanted you, I waited for the right moment for us to meet again." Dmitri admitted. 

"Why didn't you tell me?" she asked feeling a bit overwhelmed by his closeness. "Why did you let me believe it was goodbye?"

"I wanted you to want me for who I am and not what I have." Dmitri informed her, his voice sounding sultry and sexy as he whispered in her ear.

June was annoyed by what he was doing to her body. She was feeling her blood heat up, "I accepted you for the man I met in the cottage on a horrible rainy night. At first you made me want to throttle you but later you showed me how wonderful a man could be and I bore my soul to you Dmitri."

He stepped back and run his hand through his hair. He stared at her deeply. His eyes looked like he was regretful.

"I was in complex negotiations selling one of my companies, I had to be careful." she shook her head, he was giving too many excuses. "I never expected to find you June. I was not looking for a relationship or even an encounter with a woman but you stepped into my life and I knew I wanted you."

He bowed his head and shrugged like he was tired. She wanted to put her arms around him but stilled herself. She needed to see if he was being genuine.