-72-

gabriel sees

gabriel sees

SCARLETT WAS LAYING ON THE GROUND, SHARPENING HER KNIFE AS HER THOUGHTS CONSUMED HER. Michonne was feeding Judith. Carl was pacing with his weapon of choice. Gabriel sat in the front of the church, trying to rid the blood from the floors. She thought it was a waste of time.

"Did you know that each and every one of us has been where you are," Scarlett commented softly, gaining Gabriel's attention. "Scared. Confused. Trying to pick between the bad and the lesser bad of decisions. I see how you look at me. Look at Rick. Like we're some kind of parasites."

Gabriel gulped, going back to cleaning the floor.

"You'll realize too late that surviving this world... it's about being wary of the people still alive in it," Scarlett finished, sitting up and stabbing her knife in the ground. "They were eating people, Gabriel. They were trying to kill us before we even thought of killing them."

"I don't–"

"I don't want to hear your sob stories anymore, Father. I'm not tryin' to prove I'm a good person. I got three reasons in this room that remind me I'm a good person every day," Scarlett finished, standing up. She looked down, seeing her stomach peaking out.

The bump was a little more on show in the shirt she wore. She figured she would need larger shirts soon. Smiling at it, she walked over to Carl, ruffling his hair. He glanced at Gabriel with a sigh before he picked up a bunch of weapons. Scarlett took watch as he brought them all over to Gabriel.

"Pick one," Carl told him. "You need to learn how to defend yourself. Scar's right. We can teach you."

"Defend myself?" Gabriel asked incredulously. "They said they'd go."

Carl spoke before Scarlett could. "They were liars and murderers."

Gabriel scoffed. "Just like us."

"We protected ourselves. They wanted us dead. You're lucky your church has lasted this long. You can't stay in one place anymore. Not for too long. And once you're out there, you're gonna find trouble you can't hide from. You need to know how to fight!"

Scarlett smirked at Carl's words, knowing he was right. It was the shitty truth of the world.

"Good choice."

Scarlett turned to see Gabriel pick up the machete.

"But you're not holding it right. You've got to be able to drive it down 'cause sometimes their skulls aren't as soft and you need to be able–" Carl tried to explain before Gabriel shook his head.

"I'm sorry. No. I need to lie down."

Gabriel got up and went into his office, locking the door behind him.

Scarlett sighed, walking over to Carl. "You're right, bud. He needs to learn. But... we can't force him. He'll learn if he wants to live..." Carl nodded, walking over to play with Judith.