-74-

worse

worse

SCARLETT FOLLOWED DARYL, HER FOOTSTEPS LOUDER THAN THEY USED TO BE WHEN THEY HUNTED. Daryl even made a comment of it causing Scarlett to throw a rock his way with her foot. He gave her a look.

"When you came out with Beth," Scarlett started, watching him tense up, "I never was so grateful that she had you in her life. You cared about her. She was irritating and stupid at times, but you took care of her in little ways ever since we met."

Daryl said nothing.

"Y'know, I've done a lot of bad shit," Scarlett continued, following him. She looked for water but found nothing as she crouched down. She felt the dirt, feeling the dryness unwavering. Then, she fell back on her butt when she tried to stand, realizing she could not get up on her own. "Daryl."

Daryl turned, scoffing a bit as he stepped toward her. He helped her stand, ignoring her amused smile.

"Like I was sayin', I've done some bad shit. But Beth, Beth was good. She was innocent. She deserved to live," Scarlett said, staying close to him as she held her Colt Python tightly. "But she's not here. She's dead, so we have to move on. That's life now."

"Exactly. It's life. So stop harping on it," Daryl grunted.

"I'm harpin' on it because I want you to talk to me," Scarlett whispered. "I wanna make sure you're okay, Dar."

Daryl glanced at her, shaking his head. "M'fine. Gotta be, right?"

Scarlett shook her head. "No, ya don't."

Daryl said nothing else as they hunted around. They came up short again, so Daryl held her hand as he lead her back to the group. The walker's snarls were the sure sign they were close to the group, and Daryl let her hand go to make sure he stayed in front of her. He wanted to make sure he protected her at all costs.

When they made it back to the road, they were only a little ways behind the group, so Scarlett forced her tired legs to move and catch up with them. Rick noticed their return, nodding at them. Scarlett was out of breath, rubbing her stomach slightly as if that would make everything better.

"You okay?"

"I still need to pee," she told Carl since he was the one who asked. Rosita chuckled a bit, rolling her eyes at how blunt Scarlett was. "Like, he is on my bladder and isn't letting up type of pee."

Carl snorted a laugh. "Still thinking it's a boy?"

"Has to be with all the trouble he's causin'. Reminds me of you," she teased before calling out to Rick. "I think we need a potty break."

"You mean you," Michonne said with a smirk.

Rick bit back his smile, turning to look ahead of them. They were nearing a small bridge that went over a stream. He could see the ditches on either side. He glanced back at the walkers and his pregnant fiancée. He nodded.