Nightmares (Requested)

You're lying in bed under the covers as you watch tv. You're waiting for Jenna to join you. There's no point in trying to fall asleep; you can't when she isn't beside you.

Jenna comes out of the bathroom a few minutes later, wearing one of your t-shirts and shorts. Your heart swells at the sight.

Despite dating for almost two years, things like her wearing your clothes still make you giddy.

Jenna jumps onto the bed, landing beside you with a grin. "Hi baby", she whispers, "I thought you would have fallen asleep by now."

You shake your head, smiling. "I can't sleep without my little spoon."

She groans, getting under the covers. "I'm not the little spoon stop lying."

You give her an amused look. "Oh yeah? Then how come you always pull my arm so it's over you in your sleep?"

She rolls her eyes playfully. "Fine, I won't cuddle into you tonight, so you see I'm not the little spoon."

You nod, smirking. You turn the lights off and settle into bed.

Not in 10 minutes later, you feel Jenna shuffling closer to you. You turn to face her and wrap your arms around her from behind.

You kiss her shoulder, smiling as you settle back to sleep.

"Baby? Jenna, where are you?" you call out as you walk through your house. You walk to the living room to find the window smashed and Jenna lying unconscious, her head bleeding.

She's been attacked. Someone attacked her in your home, and you couldn't protect her. You'll never be able to protect her.

Someone will get her one day, and you can't do anything to stop it.

"Jenna baby, please no", you sob, having already dialled 911. You're holding her in your arms, trying to stop the bleeding.

You're useless. How could you not protect her? You always promised to keep her safe.

The ambulance arrives and quickly takes Jenna away. You're left on your knees on the living room floor, covered in her blood.

You're so fucking USELESS.

You wake up frantically, gasping. You feel sweat beads on your face, and you wipe them away.

It was a nightmare. The same nightmare you've had for months. At first, it wasn't frequent, but it started to happen more often as the days passed.

You turn your head to look at Jenna but see she isn't there. You're immediately worried something has happened.

You get up from bed and walk downstairs to look for her.

You walk into the living room to see her sitting on the couch, her laptop on her lap, and her headphones in.

You breathe a sigh of relief, walking over to her.

She looks up at you, surprised. "Darling, you're awake? I couldn't sleep so I came here to do some work. Are you ok?"

You shake your head, sitting beside her as she puts her headphones and laptop aside.

She cups your face; her eyebrows furrowed at the teary look in your eyes as they meet hers.

"Talk to me, baby. What happened?

You let out a shaky breath. She takes one of your hands and squeezes comfortingly, her other hand still holding your cheek.

"I've been having horrible nightmares. They used to happen occasionally, but now they happen once a week. They're always about you getting hurt. I can never protect you from them. When I woke up and saw you weren't in bed, I thought the worst."

She nods her head in understanding. She pulls you into a tight hug. You bury your face in her neck while she rubs your back softly.

"I'm so sorry, my love. I had no idea you worried this much" She lifts your head gently, making you look at her.

"I'm going to hire more security so they can keep their eyes on the house. I need you to promise you'll wake me up next time you have a nightmare, ok? Nothing will happen to me, Darling, I promise" She kisses your forehead.

You nod, relieved at the thought of security keeping you both safe. You spend the next while holding her in your arms, reassuring yourself that everything will be ok.

Total words: 673