Chapter 18: Pain, numbness and peace

Liläk helplessly looked as the soldiers took Tsireya, Tuk and Lo'ak and they tied them to the railing of the boat. Quaritch was still crouched in front of her, looking at them from his position. He then looked at Liläk one more time.

-I want to leave things very clear this time.-He spoke. His voice made her sick, she didn't even find the strength to hiss at him, because she had no way to escape, no way of hurting him and come out of it alive. She merely listened, looking at her siblings and Tsireya with desperate eyes.

-Look at me.

The command boiled her blood and so, as quickly as the force to hiss at him left, they came back. She hissed at him, fire in her eyes, but Quaritch didn't look too impressed...without any of those nasty arrows around he felt calm and Liläk had arrived to the boat with no bow in her. He nonchalantly took out his gun and put it in her head.

-Liläk!-Tuk screamed. But she was too far away to whisper words of comfort to her. Liläk forced herself to look at him in the eyes, she was not going to give him the satisfaction of looking scared, even though her heart was pounding so hard it hurt.

-I will only say this once Liläk,-It infuriated her that he used her name, as if they were old friends chatting casually.-if you try anything and I mean anything: break the restraints some how, take a knife from anywhere and brandish it to harm any of my crew, create any plan or do something to not cooperate, I will take this gun and I will shoot your brother in the head...because I know that if I threaten your life, you might not listen to me. I won't hesitate so I suggest you to not test me.

Liläk's fear reached a peak she did not know. Now it was not only that there was nothing to do, she literally couldn't do anything. Quaritch had found her weak spot, just as she had found his all those days ago in the woods, but she didn't have any way to fight him without just making him more mad.

-Are we clear?-His voice could be heard once more. She still held her look but said nothing. With his free hand he took a knife and put it close to her neck, cutting a bit in the process.

-I asked you a question.-He said, putting pressure on the knife. Liläk gasped a bit at the sudden sharp edge that squeezed her throat. She could hear Tuk screaming her name with more strength, as Lo'ak cried out for them to leave her alone. Tsireya was pleading as well.

-Yes.-She managed to let out, the pressure of the knife making it hard to breath.

-I didn't hear you.-He said, a smile on his face, still not lowering the pressure on her neck. She grunted at the anger and hate that she felt towards him.

-Yes you asshole!-Liläk said exasperated, as loudly as she could, wishing for the knife to be taken away from her throat.

Quaritch stood up, putting the knife back in his belt. Liläk was left breathing heavily, still being forced to kneel. The soldier behind her put a cuff on one of her hands.

-I'm glad we got that out of the way. Put her with the others.-He commanded the soldier, who was already making her stand up to go tie her to the railing. She didn't hold back, fearing that if she did, Quaritch would shoot Lo'ak, just like he had said.

They put her beside her brother. She looked at him urgently.

-Are you okay?-Lo'ak asked her, trying to get closer to her but failing because of them being trapped.

-Don't worry. I'm okay.-Liläk told him, her voice still breathily due to the knife choking her.

He nodded and toughed his face up.

-Be brave.-He told Tsireya and Tuk. Liläk sighed as she looked up, trying to think straight, it was a bit hard to be brave in those conditions.

From the horizon she could see a bunch of tsuraks flying above the sea in front of them.